DIY Magnetic Knife Holder With a Vintage Ruler

I've seen posts about creating your own magnetic knife rack, but I decided to use something a little different for my knife holder. I also figured out a couple of tricks along the way that made this project a success!
I found this massive ruler in the corner of a garage at an estate sale. $1.00? I'll take it! It was painful to cut it, but I have a couple of other projects planned for the rest of the 4 foot ruler, so I think I'm happy with my decision.
Instead of sitting in the corner of a garage, it's now a unique, and functional addition to our kitchen.
1/2" by 1/8" thick neodymium magnets worked perfectly for this project, but boy are they strong.
I drilled holes with a 1/2" forstner bit, and the magnets fit in perfectly. I just continued to drill holes across the entire back, making sure to drill close to the thicknesses of the wood, but not through it.
As I added new magnets to the empty holes, I made sure to cover up the magnets that were already in place. If not, those magnets just wanted to jump right out of their little holes.
Those knives at the back are pretty heavy, but with the amount and type of magnets I used, it's strong enough to hold them!
Check out the full post on the blog!
Jenny @ Refresh Living

• Francisco Cano

Does it also hold the meat (translated from Spanish): aguanta tambien el acha de la carne

• Mai2201198

I would say yes! Excellent work, no? (translated from Spanish): Diría que sí! Excelente trabajo, no?

• Doreen

Where did you get the magnets??

• Ste5602189

You can buy various magnets on e bay

• Renee

The Container Store had them at one time.

• Shari Allen

Harbor Freight has them cheap. They are strong too.

• Kerri Bishop

Lowes and Home Depot also carry them.

• Rebecca

Hobby Lobby has them

• Eileen913R

My Mom had a janitorial firm and she bought heavy magnet incased in a medal frame that was screwed onto the vacuums fronts to pick up staples and paper clips. I'm sure if you go to a vacuum store you can use them for your knives, and they came with screw holes...

• Andi Risley

Omg! I've never heard of that! What a great idea for the vacuum!

• Mary Hofstra

Amen to that! My husband just took home a bunch of SUPER strong magnets that they were throwing away at his work. I'm going to ask him to figure out a way to attach it to the front of my vacuum! I bet vacuums last a lot longer when they don't have to pick up all those items. Now we need something that will pick up the tiny fuzzies that vacuums can't seem to suck up! They can pick up bowling balls but not fuzzies!

• Merri Peplinski

Hahahaaaa Mary Hofstra! You're right! Can pick up bowling balls, but fuzzies!
    • Dana Ellebracht

J&K Magnetics is my preferred shop. They have any size you can think of.
    • Sha4775837

CMS Magnetics, Inc. They have all kinds of magnets. Located in Dallas and you can pick up or order on line
    • Minnah Page Kreations

Check American Science and Surplus, www.sciplus.com for all kinds of magnets (and other fantabulous stuff!!!!).
  • Liliana Wells

How many magnets per knife did you use? Thanks for the tutorial.

• Instead of nailing into my backsplash will heavy duty Command strips hold it up with about 5 knives?

• Faith Prescott

I dont trust command strips, they get weak after a while
    • Sylvia allsop

Mine have held up. As long as the part you are using isreally cleaned well.

Plus the command hooks are the only thing I could get to hold up any large racks on tiles in my shower.

• Leslie

I used a heavy duty double sided tape and stuck my magnet bar to the side of my fridge since it is near to my prep area. make sure the refrigerator is squeaky clean and free of dirt and grease before applying.

• Jolene (Tool Woman)

I find also that if I hold the command strip for 30 seconds (as recommended) When first adhering and then waiting at least an hour before hanging,!they really hold up for a long time! I say try it!

• Kc

Command strips may hold this project in place if you aren't messing around with it, but when you start pulling your knives off the bar I think that tugging action will bring it crashing down...knives flying everywhere!!!

• Diane

I think her whole point of doing this project was to use the antique yard stick, and with its thickness it makes sence to use the heavey duty magnets!

• Maxine Waller

Omg. I didn't even think pf that! Thank you!

• Maxine Waller

Of

• Linda Lim

How did you cover (or what did u use) to the individual magnets to prevent them from "jumping" up from their holes to the neighboring magnets?

• Leslie

Hi Linda, I would use duct tape or a heavy duty tape that sticks well to wood. The other thing I would most likely do is glue the magnets in their holes with E-6000 glue and then back the ruler with felt or any cushy fabric, Maybe a strip of leather. Be careful with these magnets they are extremely powerful and can give fingers a good bite.

• Itsmemic

you're not kidding...those magnets have really done a job on my fingers more than once.

• Debra K Wallace

Where can I purchase that type of magnets? I live in Auburn, Indiana.

• Tammy Roads

It shows her covering them with one hand while placing the new magnet with the other hand.

I love the idea about gluing them in and covering with felt or other think fabric!

• Benesse

Amazon

• Nastassia

The wish app

• Dawn Robinson

Maybe glue them in with hot glue? Would that work and use felt?

• Lisa J Freeman

Home Depot

• Margherita McCallum

I'm sorry, am i missing something? Why would the magnets pop out of the holes once they're in?? It's not like you're touching two magnets together... i don't get it.

• Margherita McCallum

Also, if these magnets are so powerful, why the need for so many magnets? Shouldn't one straight row do?

• Adele DuranGO

You say you "added" magnets, but I missed HOW. Glue? What kind? If just inserted in the holes, won't they eventually pop out?

• Tara Brown Holmes

they are sandwiched between wall and ruler. they have nowhere to go.

• Leslie

Adele I would most likely use E-6000 glue and then cover with a strip of felt or leather. This type of magnet is extremely powerful and if not very secure they very well may "jump" out. :)

• Buffy Edgar Bandley

Sad, to bad the ruler had to be cut. It would have made a great conversation piece on a wall. I love old rulers .

• Betty

I use any brand of CA glue. I put a good cover of glue on the base of the hole and then put a little on the vertical walls of the hole. Press in the mgnet and let it dry overnight just to be sure. The same trip trick works for a number of different applications. I have used them to suspend remote switches.l, small parts, and other things. Strange as it may seems this will also hold a pair of metal rim glasses.

• Robyn Garner

I'd just cover them with duct tape. Once in place against the wall there's nowhere to go. With glue you might end up with a magnet sitting too high for the ruler to mount flat on the wall.

• Nancy Ellis

What brand of kitchen knivesare those?

• Sandra Niven

They look like HINKLES ,

German knives of very good quality. Very sharp.

Plus a good heft & feel in your hand. Pricy too.

• Jill Ron Pike

Some in the picture are stamped " German Steel Made in China" but I don't see a brand name.

• Sheri Horbachewski

Nope not Henckels, I love them they are a great knife. They have a stamp on them that shows the name.

• April

They look like my Pampered Chef knives...

• C

Best looking knife holder I’ve ever seen

• Karen

I love the idea, but I agree you do need to add to your materials list.:

1 - The drill

2 - the type & size of drill bit

3 - the type of sealant or glue to keep the magnets in place