Great-Grandmothers Spinning Wheel

$0

A good cleaning can go a long way. We had this spindle sitting in the attic for over 2 decades. All it needed was a bit of TLC. So I used a toothbrush, a cleaning cloth, some cleaning detergent and water. I was careful not to damage the wood, gave it a good rinse and then let it dry in the sun.
great grandmothers spindle, cleaning tips, repurposing upcycling
The before. It was in a pretty good shape, but it had collected a lot of dust over the years.
So I used a toothbrush, a cleaning cloth, some cleaning detergent and water. For the more resilient parts I used cleaning wire, but I was careful not to damage the wood, gave it a good rinse and then let it dry in the sun.
This is the final result, no paint, just natural wood.
Miruna Gaman

• Txvoodoo

Lovely job! As others mentioned, consider using some oil to condition the wood, so that it stays with you for many more years. It won't make it shiny - you'll be surprised how much it drinks up!

• Linda Hughes

Looks lovely, I've been wanting a spinning wheel to spin my own yarn to crochet with. Do you spin with yours?