The Mrs.
The Mrs.
  • Carrollton, TX

Old Pant Hanger Hack!!

Declutter, organize, and easy to use! Bet you wish you had known this sooner!!
old pant hanger to jewlery organizer, organizing, repurposing upcycling
Got an old pant hanger that you were going to throw out?
DON'T!
Wait till you see this awesome hack!
Unclutter your jewlery box and make room for the "good jewlery!!"
Open the hangers....
Add your costume jewlery to each level of the pant hanger! Rings at the top with smaller more delicate costume jewlery, then bangles in the middle, and at the very bottom your big hinged bracelets, watches etc!!
The rubber coating on the hangers helps when removing the jewlery so you only take off what you need! Plus when you take them off your wrist it's instantly put away!!
Now your jewelry box can hold the precious and more valuable jewlery!
Decluttered, organized, easy to find and easy to put away!
Enjoy!

• Terry Witzleb Hont

do you have to take them all off if you want the first one you put on?

• Donna Conrad

I used this very same hanger of my son's to use for my costume jewelry, and inasmuch as I don't wear many bangles, I do have many necklaces...to answer; no. They just slip over each other. The bangles might be difficult, but necklaces aren't.

• The Mrs.

Thank you Donna for responding! And you are 100% correct! !

• Jill Alexander Carlberg

I have necklaces on pegs and I find it difficult to slip them over each other?! They always get tangled!!!

• Karen Williams

I also use these type hangers to store table linens instead of putting them in drawers or closet shelf.

• Betty

Can u buy these hangers

• Karen Williams

They should be generally available at most big box (Walmart, etc) & discount stores, like Ross, Marshalls, Big Lots. You can also try www.organize.com.

• Lillian Tremblay

I have one that is filled with washi tape and one with ribbon...just roll out carefully!!!

• Sandra Allen

To de tangle your necklaces, loop them onto themselves so each one is "hang alone" so to speak. Like this.

• Cathy Robinson

Cut a straw in half and thread the chain of a necklace through it then close the clasp. No more tangled necklaces for me.

• Robin Cockerham

I did a similar idea, and I used small 'S' hooks to hang on each rung, then hung 2-4 bracelets, necklaces, ankle bracelets, even wire earrings on each hook. Made it a lot easier to get the ones I wanted to wear.

• Ren21450645

Velvet pant hangers can be bought at dollar stores.
      use a large safety pin through each necklace and pin on hanger. Just undo each pin with the necklace you want. No fuss, no tangles, etc.
    • Minu Akshaya

Wow you are all very creative😍👍👏
  • Jan butts

Where can put earrings? Love this idea

• The Mrs.

Thanks!! As for earrings, I'll work on that one!!

• Gina

I used a cookie rack from dollar store to hang my daughter's earrings. Just stuck 2 push pins on the wall and hung the rack on it. You could also hang it on picture frame hangers. For the screw on type of earrings, I store them in a pill organiser

• Jan butts

Sounds good I want to be able to see them don't want closet hangers

• JoAnn Reed Branthoover

Ice cube tray.

• Cindy Holden

Mini muffin tin

• Cindy Holden

Empty pill bottles

• Lorna Innes

What about a piece of screen wrapped around a section of the pants hanger.

• Zona Koopman

I bought a couple of plastic sectioned boxes in the bead area of the craft section of Walmart and now have sorted my earrings by color and they are a cinch to find and store.

• Victoria Maldonado

I made a mini frame stapled a piece of window screen to back added a string to back.It will hold posts and hook earrings

• Fran Eriksen

Tried screen and it was not friendly. So, I found a large picture frame, mine is long and narrow, covered it with 14 county aida cloth (craft item) and my earrings fish hooks get poked thru the holes and stay in place. Don't put the backs on. keep them in a pretty little dish right beside the frame if you can. I put my loaded frame on a shelf and try to keep them by color, (lots of luck on that)

• Fran Eriksen

Forgot to add I staped by fabric to the back of the frame.

• Nicole Casteel

I use a burlap covered bulletin board. You can also cover the backing of a picture frame with fabric and cover the fabric with lace then hang. The holes in the lace are perfect for holding earrings.

• Debbie Marron

Have also used plastic divided boxes from fishing dept. for earrings.
    • Debbie Germano

I have my earrings in an egg carton in my bathroom drawer.
    • Flo21382678

I use an embroidered hoop for you earrings, works great!
  • Diane

where to buy paint hangers

• Shawna Bailey

I got some just like that and bed, bath and beyond

• Duffy V

Target

• Dlelsnerhr

They are pant not paint - you can buy them wherever you buy clothing hangers.

• Sweetie

I bought at Walmart, great price, but never used it, so now l will use . Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

• Cheryl

Pant Hangers from the dollar store
    • Debbie Germano

I'm sure they know they are not "paint" hangers, but pant hangers.
      Sometimes when reading Q/A's we need to overlook "Auto-Correct".

• Charlotte

I love this idea with repurposing this type of pant hanger, but would love more ideas (appreciat the one involving the dowel) about how to create a storage area for bracelets where you DON't Have to take everything off to get to the one you want!! Anyone ever seen any ideas for something like that??
    • Bbunny42

You could use shower curtain rings to hang the bracelets.
    • Cathy

WalMart

• Brigitte A Baker

I got mine at Dollar General. I used to use them for washi tape.

• The Mrs.

I got mine at a second hand store!

• Teresa S

Love this idea need. Where can I buy one?

• Raymond Gray

On the second tier do you have to take all those bracelets off to get to that one on the left?
    • Suz22444502

You asked my question. Hope we get an answer soon as this really looks like a great idea!
    • Tallahassee Girl

To get to the bracelet you are referring to, simply remove the ones necessary to get to it, then take off the one you need and replace the others. Nothing is without effort. I think it's a lovely idea.
    • Jeanette Lenox

Yes.
    • Pco26869938

Yes you do, from the looks of this design.
    • Andrea Susan Meyers White

Even when you buy the jewelry holders at the store, you have to take the bracelets off to get to one in the middle
    • A**27108234

From left to right, go large to small so you don't have to remove so many items to get the larger one off.
    • Tij27248461

Attach by string a wooden small diameter dowel to very top or bottom unopening side. Then when you want something way over, simply thread wooden dowel threw the others in front of one you want sliding them all off at once. Get what you need. Then align wooden dowel back up and slide stuff back on. Dowel would have to have large enough diameter to get a string threaded through so it can just hand right there, easy access.
    • Heather Greene

The easiest way to literally half the effort would be to obtain the original pant hanger, cut the left side of the rods off and replace the fixing of it with the same type deal that is already done on the right side (mirror image/mimicking). This way, you can simply remove the entire bar from the fixture and get to the piece you are looking for from either side. Pieces less used or with an opening/clasp should be placed towards the middle for faverites conveinience!
    • Nancy Reeves

Easy solution: put each piece on the hanger with a large paper clip; then just slip the clip off for the piece you want to wear...easy peasey!!
    • Cindy Muela

I have a paper towel holder , I put my bracelets on the long pole and the little pole I put my rings. Of course it's just for my cheep jewelry. But it looks nice.
    • Jodi Jeff Tryon

Place the bracelets that "open" on the left side. They could be removed without moving the hanger bar. Just unclasp bracelet.
    • Sue Sanders

I think Nancy Reeves is the winner on idea to remove bracelets. Even a bread twist tie would work for the ones that dont have clasps.
    • Sue Sanders

Also liked the idea to put largest bracelets on left and graduate down in size to the open end to allow you to slip the larger bracelet over the smaller ones without taking bracelets off to get to the one you want.
    • Kma25930661

Nancy Reeves has the best idea. It would be much faster to lift up on one paperclip than to worry with sliding various sizes over others.
    • Harriett Johnson

I agree, Nancy has the best idea.

• SWE21521029

So far Nancy has it hands down!!
    • Barbara R

Sorry, but paper clips would make each bracelet hang too far down and hang into the next bar. Not a good solution at all. The ONLY solution here would be to find another holder or just hang the ones here that you never wear :)
    • Wan30102859

Have a similar rod handy and put it through the bracelets you don’t want and lift those off. Then grab the one you want and slide the others back on.
    • Marneta L Gabriel

I used wood & stuff from my shed:

Sides: 2pcs. - Height depends on # bar holes you want(within reason). I used 18in. height x .5in. thick and 14"wide.

Bars: Use 2, 3-4 even 5. Dowels/tree branches/old shower rods. Whatever floats your boat. Cut bars an extra 4/6in longer than required(they'll be your handles to slide your jewelry on/off your bars)

Drill & match 2 side pieces of wood to the # number of bars you want.

Back boards/wall attachment: Number of backboards used to ensure your rack's durability depends on number & length of the bars you choose. Trust your carpenter intuition, failing that.............. I used 4 backboards and attached each one with 2 nails on each side.

Attach it to the wall/backboard with screws or nails. Make sure you find your studs.

I used the appx. measurements above.

To allow bars to slide easier: Drill the holes (SLIGHTLY) larger than the circumference of the bars. I also rubbed olive oil on my wood branches(birch.) Slidin' like a bobsled! Any oil will probably work.

I don't have photos, not unpacked yet...purchased my retirement cottage! WHO HOOOO ......................

• Monique

Of course you do....duh!!!