How to Make a Purse Planter

384K Views
It's so easy to make a planter out of a thrifted tote bag or purse. I made a couple of these a few years ago, and I decided to make another one.
  • how to make a purse planter, container gardening, flowers, gardening, how to, repurposing upcycling
I used this large and fabulous tote bag purse that I found for $1 at the thrift store.

Then I needed a plastic bag, some pea gravel, some good quality potting mix, and some pretty pink flowers.
I used a clear kitchen catcher to line my bag, and then I added about 2" of pea gravel on the bottom. This adds some drainage for water and gives the bag some weight so it stays in place. I don't put holes in the bottom of the purse because the purse wouldn't last very long that way. Update: Here in Canada a kitchen catcher is a kitchen sized garbage bag.
I added some potting soil.
I put in my flowers and filled in any gaps with the potting soil. Then I just tucked the plastic in so it isn't seen, and it's done. This purse planter would add a touch of fun and colour to any deck or patio. UPDATE: Mine is out in the open so I do move it under cover when it rains so it doesn't get waterlogged, and I water lightly with a single spouted watering can. If it were kept on a covered porch or deck the rain wouldn't be a conern.

To see a couple of other purse planters that I made check them out here.

Suggested materials for this project:

Tuula @ Thrifty Rebel Vintage