How to Make a Purse Planter

It's so easy to make a planter out of a thrifted tote bag or purse. I made a couple of these a few years ago, and I decided to make another one.
how to make a purse planter, container gardening, flowers, gardening, how to, repurposing upcycling
I used this large and fabulous tote bag purse that I found for $1 at the thrift store.

Then I needed a plastic bag, some pea gravel, some good quality potting mix, and some pretty pink flowers.
I used a clear kitchen catcher to line my bag, and then I added about 2" of pea gravel on the bottom. This adds some drainage for water and gives the bag some weight so it stays in place. I don't put holes in the bottom of the purse because the purse wouldn't last very long that way. Update: Here in Canada a kitchen catcher is a kitchen sized garbage bag.
I added some potting soil.
I put in my flowers and filled in any gaps with the potting soil. Then I just tucked the plastic in so it isn't seen, and it's done. This purse planter would add a touch of fun and colour to any deck or patio. UPDATE: Mine is out in the open so I do move it under cover when it rains so it doesn't get waterlogged, and I water lightly with a single spouted watering can. If it were kept on a covered porch or deck the rain wouldn't be a conern.

To see a couple of other purse planters that I made check them out here.
Tuula @ Thrifty Rebel Vintage

• Debbie Spilsbury

I think it is absolutely precious and thoughtful that you would respond to each and every comment AND compliment! True qualities of a classy lady for sure. When an idea or tip is shared within our Hometalk family, I believe it is incumbent on all of us to gratefully receive and then (if you feel so inclined) respond -- and do it kindly. We've got a GREAT thing happening here at Hometalk! Let's keep the joy flowing!

• Sro12309223

I got right on this and ran to thrift stores in Kansas City and picked up cute bags to plant. Twelve and holding for family members and selling. Going like hot cakes. What a great idea! Thanks so much.

• Donna Wojcik

No question, just telling you I absolutely love this...I love and have many bags and have so many that I thought of doing this with some that have been around a while, but are still in good shape. I am hanging mine on the edge of my "greenport" which is my greenhouse without walls. What a cute idea.

• Sherry

I've always put charcoal like for fish tanks in any container without a hole. It helps keep the plant from mold or rote. Like in terrarums Have you heard of that?