Frosted Vase From a Snack Container

Once this snack container at work was empty (which seemed to take forever) I asked if anyone minded if I took the container home. Wow you should have seen the weird looks I got. Anyway. After a little bit of time I had a great vase for some lights and some silk flowers I had purchased.
Here is the original container. It is about 18" high and about 5 - 6" around. It is a pretty good size.
First I got the label off and Jeff cut the top of where the lid fit on.
I used my Cricut to cut out les Fleurs from vinyl. I used this as a mask. I also covered the top and bottom of the vase so the frosted spray paint would only be in the middle.
I used the Frosted Glass Spray paint. I probably got it at Menards but I think I have seen it at Wal Mart as well. I applied three light coats. After the last coat dried I removed my masking. It came out so nice.
I used a variation of teal, green and clear glass pieces for inside the vase. This made it pretty heavy but it is a plastic vase and I didn't want my cats to tip it over. These were perfect.
I added some ribbon to help keep the lights and stems from falling too much but I love the way it turned out. I get a lot of compliments from people when they see it.
There it is. This is a great way to get a free vase and be re-purposing something as well. What do you think?
If you like re-purposing and upclycling you can see more of my projects in my gallery
And you can sign up for my email/newsletter list and receive a free printable to make a fun gift for a friend.
For more ideas please visit my blog.

• Plastic snack container
  • Cricut Machine  (Provo Craft)
  • Black Vinyl for Cricut  (Michaels)

3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
Michelle James

• Mary Uzzell Eason

Where did you buy the lights?

• Michelle Perram

This might be a stupid question...are the lights part of the flowers? They look like they are either part of the flowers or maybe "sticks" of light? At any rate this is a beautiful project. I'm re-doing my guest bathroom and this would look so elegant. Great job!
  • Wendy

Looks great

do you remember what kind of base?

• Michelle James

Hi Wendy. Do you mean the container? It is a snack container that had Pub Mix in it.

• Linda M Guerra Hamilton

I have one of these exact containers that I have been saving for a project! This may just be it! Thank you!

• Debby

Beautiful! had to laugh when you said about the strange looks from co-workers. I walked into our craft group and there was a bag of pistachio's on the table. i was so excited and I can imagine some thought, "Whoops the fat lady is going to eat all of them." I said "PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, when you eat them save me the shells!" I love using them as a medium, but hate the flavor and cost. Sorry I don't remember where I saw the great idea to use the shells.

, Sorry I don t remember where I saw the great idea to use the shells
    • Michelle James

Omg. That is too funny but those shells are perfect. I love it. Thanks so much for the photo !!