How To Paint Leather Furniture

Have you ever made a purchase, loving it at the time, and then later wondered what on earth you were thinking? I have, and I looked at it several hours each day, it was my own office chair. I loved the style of this chair from the day I laid eyes on it. Had to have it. But… I bought it in red. By the time I started decorating my ofice, my colors were turquiose and coral and lots of natural colors and driftwood.
I loved the chair, just not the color.
So I decided to paint it. I used Chalk Paint by Annie Sloan and mixed 3 colors to make my own blend of coral to match my office.
I mixed 2 parts Pure White, 1/2 part Emperor’s Silk, 1 part plus a few teaspoons Barcelona Orange to make y color. If you want it a little more berry, add more red. If you want the color a little paler add more white. It's easy.
Prepping the chair was easy. I rubbed the leather lightly with 100 grit sandpaper all over. Just enough to take the light shine off of the grain. Next, I wiped down the leather with a TSP solution. This took all of 10 minutes. Protect areas you don't want to paint with painters tape.
Paint two coats of paint letting dry completely in between coats. Use a good quality brush and apply the paint thinly!
The next day I applied the first coat of wax. I put two coats of wax on over two days and buffed on the third day.
The finish is perfect. It looks like it came from the store in this color! Not a brush stroke anywhere.
Best of all it finally matches my office!

Wendi @ H2OBungalow

• Hervoline Pearson

What is a TSP Solution? What is the name of the wax that you used? The chair is beautiful.

• Wendi @ H2OBungalow

TSP can be found in any paint department. I buy mine in a powder and mix it with water. Please go to my original blog post on H2OBugalow.com for the step by step tutorial and more pictures. The wax was also Anne Sloan:)

• Lori Stevens-Nicholas

Do you think it will wear well over time? A friend gave us a leather couch that is not in as good of shape as I thought it would be. It has stains on the one arm where her husband polished his shoes. It was free so I don't mind experimenting with it but I don't want it to be hideous. LOL Your chair turned put great bur I wonder on something with a squishier seat it the pain would crack?

• PAMELA

LOVE YOUR CHAIR AND A FAVORITE COLOR!