Anna Ibarra
Anna Ibarra
  • San Antonio, TX

From a Tired Old Looking Yard Island to a Patio

We moved to our new home back about 5 years ago. It was a forest in my backyard, trees everywhere, lots of island. There was a huge Saga plant in the middle of the yard in that unkept island. House had been bankruptcy home so lots of work to do.
from a tired ole looking yard island to a patio, concrete masonry, gardening, outdoor living, patio
I had to hire to cut this palm down. I know, but this was a big one and it would have not been easy. I had lots of them on the property, not my kind of plant, the smaller ones went to my sister and together we saved about 4 of them. I kept one small in front yard transported to a huge pot.
This brick pathway was already here when we moved in. ;-/ No Like! My son was the lucky one to pull all these out and brought to the new patio area.
Along with this ugly pathway left behind was also a pallet of bricks and tons of cinder blocks left behind. I used all of these in pathway and pallet of bricks.
I didn't know what pattern to do ??
It looks like a mess, I wasn't sure. Used base and leveled it as best as I could, then laying bricks. Used leveling sand to lock in bricks. It is locked in well now.
I did down the bricks myself, I would get help next time. No next time though. I worked on it 2-3 days straight, then my back was killing me.
Left it as is, for a couple of weeks. Didn't have far to finish but oh my this was true labor. I was short of bricks so the line of bricks you see in the background lining the grass, had to be brought for the patio. ;-(
Finished
As I viewed from one end, it was all off. I got so discouraged. I decided, heck I'm leaving it as is. Called it character. LOL
Before I ever started the patio, left it for a couple of months till I got courage to do this. When it rained, it became a small shallow lake. ;-)
Finished with some patio plants, etc.
Mix match patio table that was given to me, bought the Coke chairs, and had the other chair already.
These are my favorite chairs as they swivel & just can doze off at times. My husband would love to sit there also. He enjoyed the back yard it was our haven. I wanted to do it for us.
Now glad I did it. We use almost year round. Winters we use the fire pit as before we didn't have a place to use it cause we killed the grass one time we used it. My son had a party with his friends and they loved it, sitting outside by the fire, doing smores. It's been about 3 years now. I have it set up different but it's been raining so much, haven't set it up completely. Glad I broke my back for this now. Even or not even close to be even, I'm good.

• Ann

How to attach a wire planter on a deck railing

• Janice

Hi Ann, you posted your question beneath an instructive post. If you go to the homepage and ask the question, you'll likely get a lot more answers to your question as many more Hometalk users will see it there.

• Barb

It's beautiful! A great way to make your yard a nice place for family and friends to have fun! If the uneven edge gets annoying, perhaps a bed of flowers would disguise it.

• Kelli Hendrickson

What kind of sand did you use to level? And did you put something under the bricks so grass would not grow between them?