DIY Wooden Cable Spool Project: Kid's See-Saw

$150

I'm adding to the backyard fun with this DIY wooden cable spool project. Based on a picture of a $500 see-saw (say what!), this project is an inexpensive way to add some cool to your outdoor kid's toy collection!
diy wooden cable spool project kid s see saw, diy, how to, outdoor living, pallet, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects
I love my child but a $500 see-saw is not in the budget. This project only costs me $150 with the most expensive part being the galvanized pipe. Side note: I realized that I have a serious addiction to reclaimed wood and galvanized pipe projects.
With the help of a reciprocating saw and an awesome husband, we were able to cut through the bolts in the middle of this ginormous spool and then cut the top and bottom into almost half. Notice the large metal ring in the middle? Yeah, there is NO going through that with any saw so it became necessary to cut the top and bottom off by one board.
Using 1/2" galvanized pipe, I created structural supports to hold the two half circles of the wooden cable spool top in place.
After adding decking boards on the flat top portion of the cable spool that will serve as the seats, I added two decking boards below for a foot rest. A small piece of wood was attached right above the middle structural pipe. The foot rest was attached to these pieces.
After the seats and foot rest were attached, I added wooden stoppers to help with safety. The handrail is also made from galvanized pipe but a foam pool noodle helps add another level of safety (no broken teeth please!). Check out the rest of the details on the blog!
Meagan {The Charming Farmer}

• A

Where u get your spool

• Jewellmartin

About 55 years ago when the dirt road going by my grandparents' house was being paved, new telephone poles had to be set, too. A staging area for supplies on their land ended up being the temporary dumping ground for the huge and small spools. Also, leftover colored wires from unfinished spools and a few other items were there for the taking. As soon as the day's work was over, the neighbors came through the dust and mud to salvage what they wanted. Those wires were used in dozens of crafty ways. The spools, only in two ways. With no metal removed or sanding, the spools were used as tables in front and back yards. Some were confiscated by older children and became the substitute for hoops, ferris wheels, kid-powered merry-go-rounds, and other expensive toys we couldn't afford to buy. It was years before I saw a painted spool, and many of the unpainted spools had starting rotting or were torn apart for wood. But for a few years, the phone company subsidized the outdoor decor for many neighbors.