DIY Wooden Yard Dice: Makes a Great Gift

90K Views
Last month, I was browsing one of my favorite stores and spotted a set of five large Wooden Yard Dice. I have many fond memories of playing Yahtzee with my grandparents, so I love the idea of introducing my kids to some fun dice games while playing in the yard this summer - but the $60 price tag of the dice made me do a double take! Hello DIY project inspiration!
Time: 1 HoursCost: $9Difficulty: Easy
  • summer fun with diy wooden yard dice, how to, outdoor living, woodworking projects
I was able to create 6 sets of yard dice for less than the price of one store bought set, allowing me to keep one for my family, while using the others as gifts for friends!
You learn something new in the course of each project - and while creating these yard dice I learned that the dots of dice are called pips. I considered lots of different ways to add the pips, finally settling on a solution that was much easier than painting, and that will also be very durable for outdoor use.
Follow the link at the bottom of this post to read the full tutorial!
I even created a simple carry bag to keep all the dice in, and to make them easy to take along to the park!
Yahtzee is my favorite, but there are lots of other games that you can play with five dice. At the end of the tutorial on my blog there is a link to downloadable Yahtzee score sheets, as well as links to rules to other 5 dice games!

Suggested materials for this project:

Angela, Blue i Style

Want more details about this project and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!

Ask a Question