Nicole @ The Inspired Hive
Nicole @ The Inspired Hive
  • Silver Spring, MD

DIY Crate Pet Bed

It's so hard to find pet furniture that actually goes with your home decor! Sometimes you want something for your furry friends that's not a huge eyesore! See how I made a rustic pet bed for my cats using a wooden crate from a craft store!

This month's challenge was wooden crates. Click here to see more of our monthly challenge projects.
diy crate pet bed, diy, how to, pets animals, woodworking projects
I purchased this wooden crate and these wooden candle stick holders from a craft store.
I brushed a coat of my favorite grey stain onto each piece. Then I glued the candle stick holders to the bottom of the crate as feet.
Then I created a "grey wash" by mixing grey paint with water. I brushed it on and then smoothed it out with a paper towel to get a streaky look.
I used my favorite text transfer method (detailed how to is on my blog!) to write my cats' names in French!
I did one more coat of the grey wash to make the text look faded.
I folded up my cats' favorite blanket to use as a cushion, but a blanket, small pillow, or DIY cushion would work well!
Voila! A cozy little crate bed for my kitties :)
For my detailed instructions and photos please visit the full post on my blog in the link below!
Nicole @ The Inspired Hive

• Billie

What kind of glue did you use for the legs? Also, how did you get the top 2 pieces of wood off without leaving holes in the crate?

• Nicole @ The Inspired Hive

Hi Billie. I used super glue for the legs and was able remove the top bars with a hammer with no issues. You could always fill in any holes with a small amount of wood putty. You can see more details on how I did everything in my blog post which is linked to above. Hope this helps.

• Dl.5660408

So, did your cat/s actually use it? It's so lovely but my goofy cats tend to ignore beds and cat toys. They'd rather sleep on magazines or projects I'm working on. They even play with rocks from my plants instead of their toys and shun catnip. I'd so love to make them a bed like this

• Donna Bingham

Hi I just came across your cat bed. Would it work for a dog?? Or do you have anything for dog beds?? Thanks I love to watch your post

• Sue Scimeca

Do the crates come in larger sizes?? I have 3 cats that often sleep together....

• Nicole @ The Inspired Hive

Hi Sue. Wooden crates are made in various sizes, but I believe Michaels (where I bought mine) only carries one size. I think Home Depot has different sizes on their website but only one size in store. Hope that helps!