West Elm Inspired DIY Painted Rug

I've been creating West Elm inspired home decor all summer as part of a fun series with some blog friends and today is the final project! I made a DIY Painted Rug and it's a lot easier than you might think!

I found a large area rug that I loved by West Elm but the price tag left a lot to be desired - $400! So I recreated it for a LOT less money!

I bought a large fabric drop cloth and used painter's tape and fabric paint to recreate the design and color scheme. **Tip: You can use acrylic paint mixed with fabric medium to make fabric paint, like I did!**

The combination of oranges and browns, and the modern design, is perfect for my living space and a great fall piece. Since it didn't cost much to make, I won't feel bad changing it out with the seasons!

For the full DIY with measurements for my own large rug, feel free to visit the blog. This is a great project because you can truly customize it match to your own decor.

Placeofmytaste

• Teresa Keaton Browning

HOW DO YOU KEEP THE DROP CLOTH FLAT ON THE FLOOR WITHOUT BUNCHING UP WHEN YOU WALK ON IT?

• Pamela

Maybe attaching a magnet on the corners would add a little weight to keep it from folding. Inexpensive too

• M Eagle Shield

I have a couple larger rugs with designs I would like to paint a different design so do I need to do like a primer first then the new design?

• Michelle

Has anyone stenciled carpet? Due to a new adorable puppy who is now 4, we have bleached out spots where I apparently did not use the proper stain remover for his accidents. We're not ready to remove the carpet until we move, which we're considering or staying. We have a waterbed which to drain and move is a pain in itself. Any suggestions?

• Ann

Maybe I missed it but I don't see anyone speaking about how to seal these things. I have made a few floor cloths. First I paint the Raw drop cloth with white house paint. Second I paint my design. Third I use clear coat all over it both sides. 4th I then use a butcher's wax and rub it all over the top part and buff it out. This makes it so easy to clean you can even take it outside and hose It Off ! The ones I made four or five years ago still look great! Mine were all smaller but I bought a large drop cloth planning to do this. I was trying to figure out how to do it without being on my hands and knees all the time though! Getting too old for that stuff.

• Pamela

I love this ! My husband is a painter so he can get discounts at paint stores and Lowe's. So I hope to try this soon. Sometimes he has leftover paint from jobs so therefore I may get lucky and have very little cost in my rugs. Thanks so much for sharing and giving others inspiration..