We Got Rid of the Nasty Carpet on Our Stairs and Stained Them!!!

$20

This was one of the biggest home DIY projects we've done in a long time. But pulling out the carpet and staining the stairs was sooooo worth it! Here's what the stairs in our townhouse looked like before we started.
I hate to even look at that picture... yuck! It took a lot of work but we ripped up the carpet and spent two days removing staples and vacuuming.
After sanding they looked like this:
We decided to stain them to save money. That was actually the easiest part.
For all the details and more photos visit my blog post. Leave a comment and let me know if you've ever pulled out carpet and stained your floor. Thanks for reading!!!

• Dark walnut stain
  • Paintbrush
  • Heavy duty staple remover

Ann @ Duct Tape and Denim

• Jerri Verity

Our basement stairs are too narrow from back to front. What can we do? With least amount of $$$. They have hard tile and metal strips. House is small and 56 years old.

• Thouwlin

No much. It depends on if all of them are too small. Let say it is a standard 8' drop, that would be about 14 steps. if you made each step a half inch wider you would lose 7' of clearance at the bottom. If you have the head room you could put a landing in about 4 steps up and then have two smaller sets of steps at the bottom on each side. but your look a about $400 to $1000 and a good bit of work.

• Bubbie

I have tan carpet on 3 level stair case and I don't like it much because I can see the stains coming. I like the carpet concept but to keep it clean is another task within it self. Do you have any suggestions?

• Ann @ Duct Tape and Denim

I don't have much experience with cleaning carpet on stairs... we just removed ours. What about using a running or treads? Those would be easier to clean, remove, or change if they were stained.

• Rita Wozniak

How about putting those small irredescent tiles on the kick board part of the stairs along with new boards for the step surfaces.. I have seen the tile padding mates to put on the tread parts.. to keep them a little cushioned and something for the feet to gripe to in case of a slip.. the irredesents of back of the kick boards.. could be painted something attractive or wall papered to and put up the small track lighting comeing down either side.. just another show area too..WITH no carpet.

• Frank Amyx

Smart decisions that looks good and serve well.