Dresser Redux in Black and Brass
When I saw this dresser, it had a sign on it that said, “Needs TLC,” and boy was that right! I gave it all the TLC I had, and think it went from sad and drab to pretty fab.
So, here’s the sad little dresser when I purchased it. Minus the sign.
The first thing I did was to glue down some loose pieces of veneer. Each drawer had four holes for drawer pulls. I had some pulls I knew I wanted to use, so I filled in two holes on each drawer with wood filler. While I thought that most of the trim added interest, I felt that trim on the front of the piece going down each side was just too much, so it got the wood filler treatment, too.
Next came stripping. The piece had been painted at least 4 times, and while it was a ton of work, I knew that stripping was the only way to get a good finished project.
After stripping, and stripping, and stripping, it was time for a good sanding. And sanding, and sanding.
My vision for the piece included painting the top and trim on the drawers with metallic brass spray paint.
Then it was time to finish the painting. The body of the dresser and drawer fronts got several coats of black paint in a satin sheen.
After the paint dried, I added the drawer pulls that were the inspiration for the makeover - white and black porcelain knobs with brass accents. T
The only thing left to do was to bring the dresser in the house and add some decor pieces.
Resources for this project:
Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.More info
Published December 17th, 2017 9:49 PM