DIY Upholstery Cleaner
Today we are sharing a simple DIY upholstery cleaner you can whip up anytime, and it works great for stains on fabric!
My adorable little assistant “helped” me with this post today. She was very excited about cleaning her chair!
Although these ingredients are simple, the secret is in the ratios and science behind how they work.
We will go into detail on this too! Be sure to follow Amelia and me on Instagram (@alexis.roch ) for fun things 🙂
Ingredients for making homemade upholstery cleaner:
- 1 cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide
- 1/4 cup of Blue dawn dishwashing liquid (Ultra works best for this)
- Spray Bottle
- Soft bristle brush (upholstery brush) or microfiber cloth
- Spray the surface of your upholstery where you want it to be cleaned.
- Allow solution to sit for a few minutes.
- With a brush or microfiber cloth (brush works better for stains), rub UPWARDS (Rub up towards your body instead of rubbing down into fabric, link to IG video of this can be seen in blog post )until stain is gone. Very important not to rub down or around when it comes to stains.
- Let surface dry and make sure stain is gone. Most stains are gone immediately, but anything tough or set in might need two treatments.
** I always use Dawn Ultra in these solutions, but if you don’t have any, use a good quality CONCENTRATED dish soap for this recipe. Click here to learn why I use Dawn over any other brand for homemade solutions.
Here is a little before and after on her chair. She had some stains from a pouch that spilled. You can see the stain is completely gone! There is still a little bit of dinginess to the fabric, so I actually did two rounds of this solution for extra cleaning. The stain went away after the first round though.
Common Questions + Answers