DIY Gorgeous Kitchen Island From Unfinished Cabinet Butcher Block Top
Always wanted a kitchen island but when you saw the $$ price tag, you put your dream on hold? Here's how I did it for half/third of the price!
Thankfully my hubby loved the design and helped able to get to this custom look DIY-style! With seating! Bonus!
Here's another view!
- It all started with a simple 60" unfinished cabinet from Home Depot for $149! https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-Hampton-Unfinished-Beech-Recessed-Panel-Stock-Assembled-Sink-Base-Kitchen-Cabinet-60-in-x-34-5-in-x-24-in-KSBF60-UF/302970443
We were also working on the rest of the kitchen, so excuse the mess! We wanted an x style design for the end panels and wanted the ends of the island to be beefy and substantial.
- We created the panels for this new kitchen to be the full 40″ wide to support the island countertop without the use of corbels.
- We extended the island depth by building a small wall with 2×4’s and wrapping it in 1/4″ maple plywood. We then used smaller, thin poplar boards from Lowes to create the x design.
- We filled the gaps and nail holes with putty and caulk to give a finished look.
- We removed the doors and painted the island using Valspar Cabinet paint. I highly recommend this paint! It went on smoothly with no brush strokes!
- For the top, we decided to use Butcher block due to it already being wide enough for our needs.
- We sanded (and sanded) with fine grit.
- We then stained it using Walnut stain and added three coats of Oil based Polycrylic. If you are brushing the Poly, I found out using the widest brush you can find will prevent air bubbles. Also, make sure you sand in between coats!
Isn't she pretty!? I love how the stain shows all the grain!
Another top view!
- Adding the hardware was the final touch!
I love how we were able to add extra seating to the kitchen!
What do you think? Did I inspire you to tackle this DIY?
- Lumber, caulk, nails, brushes (Lowes)
- Unfinished Cabinet (Home Depot)
- Valspar Cabinet Paint (Lowes)
- Oil based Polycrylic (Lowes)
- Butcher Block Top (Lowes)
- Handles (Amazon)
- Stools (Marketplace)