How to Create a Hidden Clip Cafe Curtain (Part 1 of 2)
In this video, Jan Addams (Designer, Author, Treasure Hunter), shows you how to create a cafe curtain with a secret - a hidden clip!
This is for people that have basic to medium sewing skills and with a few tips, you will be able to DIY and make your own 'Hidden Ring Clip Cafe Curtain' from an existing panel!
You can even re-purpose your old full length drapery and give your window a new look by cutting them down and creating a chic cafe curtain.
Jan Addams shows you step by step how to create a Hidden Clip Cafe Curtain from a ready made curtain panel. Also a great way to repurpose an existing drape.
You will need the following tools to sew a hidden clip cafe curtains:
- lined curtain panels (existing or bought)
- cafe curtain rod
- cafe curtain ring clips
- measuring tape & ruler
- seam ripper
- fabric marking pencil
- pins or fabric clips
- fabric cutting board (or something to protect work surface)
- white gloves to protect the fabric when handling (optional)
- ironing board
- parchment paper (optional)
- sewing machine
- large work area like a dining table + folding table
Measure your window and then write out the details you will need (ie: measure twice, cut once :)
- determine how many panels you need to create the fullness you want.
- For a 80 - 100" wide window you should use 2 panels (50" wide) to create a double fullness
- Make sure you have enough length to your panel to have the double header to hide the ring clip
- If you use a lined pre-made panel you don't have to 'hem them'
This is what the double folded channel looks like at the back of the lined curtain to hold the cafe clip and hide it from the front.
This is what the top of the Cafe Curtain Rings look like from the front when they are finished.
In the Part 2 - Video... Jan Addams (Designer, Author, Treasure Hunter) shows you how to update and existing window by removing an existing Venetian blind and replace it with a hidden ring clip cafe curtain.
Frequently asked questions
Have a question about this project?