$40 Coffee Table Got a Bright New Look!
I picked up a water-warped coffee table for $40 because I loved the lines! After sanding, staining and painting wouldn't hide the warps (link to sanding/staining post: http://drabtofabdesign.com/2013/06/major-coffee-table-fail/) , I opted for an inexpensive created alternative!! About $15 later (spray paint, 10 bags of marbles, and super glue) my little coffee table is shiny and unique! I am so happy the prior makeover methods didn't work out because I love the bright fun pop of color it now brings to my room! I chose not to use a poly self leveler on top because I made the top removable, but that's a post for another day. ;)
1) In the "before" photo, you can see the previous owner left drinking glasses on the table, which left some pretty ugly water warps. I did my best to sand it down, but wasn't able to get a completely flat surface.
2) I taped off the top and painted the table Rustoleum American Accents Bright Metallic Gold.
3) I started to stain the top using a dark stain we had leftover from refinishing our hardward floors. The stain concealed the water marks, but I immediately hated the dark stain/gold combo.
4) So I went the opposite direction and painted the top white. I love the white and gold together, but the water marks were more visible than ever. :(
5) Finally, I bought marble gems and super glue from Dollar Tree (who would've thought?!) and it worked perfectly! The marbles are beautiful on the gold table.
I love the eclectic look and the marble colors tie in with the other furniture in my room. Third time was the charm!
I styled it with a customizable sweet ottoman tray. Post about that here: http://drabtofabdesign.com/2013/07/punchy-pillows-trendy-trays-free-swag/
A glimpse at the whole room!
Enjoyed the project?
Want more details about this and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!
Published July 11th, 2013 7:46 AM
Frequently asked questions
Have a question about this project?
3 of 7 questions
Join the conversation
2 of 230 comments
Valerie Burge on Jan 28, 2020
Oh that's a fun makeover! Love it!!
Willie of the woods on Mar 15, 2020
I love this makeover. It is a triumph the dollar store does provide one with endless possibilities.
did you have any issues with the top being bumpy? I have an end table that is composite and the stuff peeled off the top... I was thinking about doing this for it. there's no lip though.
I'd like to do this with my table because i have inset ruttan in mine with a wooden lip around. But did you leave it bare to the marbles? I think i might put an inset glass fitted piece on top. But love the look.
Hi. I am in process of making a table with Dollar Tree glass beads. Did you use anything in between the beads. Resin or something else??