Best solution to keep mice away from home?

+8
  • Cheryl Cheryl on Nov 30, 2017
    Cover any roof chimney's and vents with screening. Stuff steel wool or foil in all areas where pipes enter or leave the home. That ended my mouse problem.

• Sharon Sharon on Nov 30, 2017
    MOTHBALLS around perimeter of house

• Tinyshoes Tinyshoes on Nov 30, 2017
    Get a cat!

• Ken Ken on Nov 30, 2017
    Cats. If you want to keep mice OUT of your home the best, worst, and only solution short of poisoning the planet so everything dies, is to seal up every last crack and hole in your house. A good idea even if you don't have mice, no?

• Jan Shore Jan Shore on Nov 30, 2017
    I have found that an extermination company is the best. They come routinely and look for droppings, and do whatever it takes to eliminate/prevent mice.

• Pam McAlpin Bird Pam McAlpin Bird on Nov 30, 2017
    Don't store anything against the house that will provide shelter or food like a firewood rack or garbage cans. Also...don't use birdfeeders within 30 feet of your house. Seal around all pipes and vents. Or just get a cat.

• Grandma Grandma on Nov 30, 2017
    Get a cat. I live on acrage surrounded by farm lands. Mouse problem in my garage was horrible, especially in winter. I left my garage door up by about 6-8 inches , enough for farm cat to enter in winter. Ended my mouse problem. I did leave a small amount of cat food in beginning to entice her in. She has become more friendly, but preferes to spend time as a free ranging cat, hence the name "Skedaddle. Elayne

• Dianacirce70 Dianacirce70 on Nov 30, 2017
    Mice are a pain in the butt. You can use a strong mint oil around windows and doors and places where you think they might be coming in, but really the only solution is to trap or poison them. They can get in through the smallest of access points, and it doesn't matter how clean you are. They follow the warmth, and in a home there is pretty much always a source of food.

• 27524803 27524803 on Nov 30, 2017
    Mice can get in around wiring and pipes... there are foam insulation that can fill that space and will deter rodents... but you have to find the opening to apply the foam, under the house, etc. I have heard that fine steel wool can be used to do the same thing (again find the opening) ... also that moth balls scattered around the foundation and under the house will repel them, but need to be replenished every few months and can be hazardous to kids and pets...
    A cat is a possible solution too... feed them enough to keep them healthy and coming around... but not so much they won't hunt.. and they will need a sheltered place to hang out in really cold weather (we had one that used to sleep in the chicken house)

• Suellen Hintz Suellen Hintz on Nov 30, 2017
    Cats! Happy healthy ones you provide a good home to.

• Maureen Boynton Maureen Boynton on Apr 30, 2021

We used make up sponges soaked in Mint Extract (you buy it in the baking isle next to the Vanilla Extract) We placed the sponges, a couple in each room, under or in places you sew mouse droppings! Beta tips of them and smells great!