How do I get rid of weeds that come up every year throughout my yard?

+19

I have a problem with weeds coming up every year throughout my large outdoor property.

I would like a chemical-free. money-saving way of getting rid of these weeds. They come up in between existing plants and flowers.

I've seen posts on this website in the past. I would appreciate someone directing me to a chemical-free, money-saving way of getting rid of this horrible looking and annoying weeds,

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on May 07, 2021

Hi Joanna two things have worked pretty good for me in the past. We have brutal winters here so, every spring, sidewalk salt comes on sale at our local fleet and hardware stores. I buy several bags and cover the places I don't want weeds to come up. Along my fence lines etc. It really works great! Besides that I've also used white vinegar but covering the spot their coming up with fabric and mulch will work too.

• Jeremy Hoffpauir Jeremy Hoffpauir on May 07, 2021

I use this natural product as a natural weed killer: https://amzn.to/3esbXvZ

It was recommended to me last year and so far so good.

• Deb K Deb K on May 07, 2021

Hi Joanna, you can do the tried and true method water the weeds to loosen the soil, then pull, this should allow you to pull the weed and the entire root out as well. I you miss any part of it , it will return, use a spray bottle with 50/50 mix of vinegar and water, and spray the remaining parts of weed, avoid getting it one the flowers and plants you love. Once you get rid of the weeds, prevent them from returning, you cam put a blocker down over the area you weeded. You can use cardboard but it will eventually dissolve, so landscape fabric is the best. I attached a link for you to check out.

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/best-landscape-fabric/

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on May 07, 2021

Recipe for this:

1 cup vinegar

1 cup salt

2 gallons of water

Give it a mix, put it in a sprayer, best if done on a hot dry, windlass day and no rain in sight.

You will have to protect the plants and/or lawn you do not want killed by this spray, it can't tell the difference between them.

• Here's what I use: Take a spray bottle and cover the bottom with salt and fill it up with vinegar. Add a few drops of dish soap and shake. Spray on the weeds.

https://www.hometalk.com/diy/outdoor/pest-repeller/all-natural-weed-killer-43299149

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on May 07, 2021

Most weed killers are going to also kill your grass and other plants. So if you choose one of those recipes above (they should work well), be careful on your application. Also, remember they will only kill the current weed. Wind and storms will blow new seeds into your yard over time.

• William William on May 07, 2021

I use one cup of vinegar, one cup of salt to two gallons water in a garden sprayer. Saturate the weeds till dripping. Do not use on lawn or in garden. Will kill everything. Boiling water on weeds in lawn and garden. Landscape fabric and 3" of mulch in garden beds

• Mogie Mogie on May 07, 2021

I walk around and only spray the weeds. I know it is time consuming but effective.

I mix up and use the following:

1 gallon of vinegar (we live on a lot about an acre in size)

1 cup of salt

1 tablespoon of dawn

I apply in the early morning on a warm and very sunny day. The sun works hand in hand with the vinegar and salt to help cook the weed. The dawn seems to give it clinging power to it sticks or adheres to the weed more.

• See 1 previous
    • Mogie Mogie on May 09, 2021

The ones close or growing next to the plant I pull by hand.

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on May 07, 2021

you can't stop weeds unless you pull them up by the root, spray them to kill them etc it is an ongoing job when we have yards and a garden

there are items like this you can use that you put down once or twice a year

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjSrKKRqbjwAhWNssgKHRz_Dw4YABAVGgJxdQ&ae=2&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASEuRoyV1vJpjbFGwqh6TTNuo92Q&sig=AOD64_2K-xrewPq50dfk-VZNKoUkfiHOaA&q&adurl&ved=2ahUKEwiT1ZeRqbjwAhUQM6wKHcDoCmkQ0Qx6BAgEEAE

• Here's a really helpful post, which contains 7 tips in getting rid of weeds https://www.bobvila.com/slideshow/7-weirdly-effective-ways-to-weed-49088 hope this helps...

• Joanna Joanna on May 08, 2021

Thank you for sharing the website. It has many ways to control/stop weeds from surfacing.

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on May 07, 2021

Hello. Hand pulling weeds is always an option. I have a wonderful weeding tool that is foot operated but it is no longer in production unfortunately.

Management

Cultural control in ornamental beds

Prevent going to seed; hand pulls easily. Do not compost plants with seed heads.

In Lawns

• Cultural Practices
    • Maintain healthy, dense turf that can compete and prevent weed establishment.
    • Mechanical Management
    • Hand pulling or using an appropriate weeding tool are the primary means of mechanical weed control in lawns. This is a viable option at the beginning of an infestation and on young weeds. Hand pulling when the soil is moist makes the task easier. Weeds with tap roots like dandelions or have a basal rosette (leaves clustered close to the ground) like plantain are easier to pull than weeds such as Bermudagrass (wiregrass) or creeping Charlie (ground ivy) that spread with stolons or creeping stems that root along the ground.

• Please don't use anything with salt as that will kill everything around the weed as well.

Hand pulling is generally the most effective, making sure to get the root. I recently found this great stand up weed puller that you twist and voila, weed gone, root pulled, no bending, super easy to use. You can find them at your local home improvement store or Amazon has them too.

• Betsy Betsy on May 07, 2021

Hi Joanna: The weeds you kill this year will have babies that come up next year. You have to be vigilant throughout the year to get any that poke up. Here's what I use:

Homemade Weed Killer:

The recipe I use is:

1 gallon of white vinegar

2 cups of Epsom salts

1/4 cup of dish washing detergent, like Dawn.

Mix the vinegar and salt until the salt is completely dissolved.

Mix in the Dawn until mixed well, but not all fuzzy and sudsy, sort of swirl it around.

Put in a spray bottle and spray the weeds liberally, in the morning after the dew has gone. Then, by evening the weeds should be dead or on their way out. Don't spray anything you want to keep or it will die too. I have used this and it works quite well. Also, it's good for making an edging as it kills only what it touches. If you have something like a piece of cardboard, hold it up and down, edgewise, and spray the area you want as an edge. Just be careful not to spray your flowers and/or bushes.

WEED KILLER WITH DAWN

1 gallon white vinegar

1 cup of salt

1 Tbsp liquid Dawn

Combine ingredients and put into a spray bottle and spray the weeds at the sunniest time of day.

This mix is very effective so make sure it doesn’t spray on something you DON’T want to kill.

Good luck

• See 1 previous
    • Betsy Betsy on May 08, 2021

If you resort to pulling them up, don't shake the dirt off by your plants as there may be seeds clinging to the roots and you are just replanting them. So, throw the whole weed away. Check this site, your answer may be here:

https://www.hometalk.com/search/all?filter=kill%20weeds

Good luck

• Annie Annie on May 13, 2021

Weeds are alot of work.. Many ways to control them short term. We use a heavy landscape fabric layered between plants we want.

Also top dress with good fertile compost. Weeds like soil with less nutrients

Other then that its on you knees doing regular weeding.