How do I keep fleas of of my dog naturally?

+6

I am on a budget but I have a lot of essential oils. Anything natural please!

• Em Em on Apr 24, 2020

Citronella, eucalyptus, peppermint, tea tree, and rosemary will all naturally repel fleas. If your dog doesn't mind a spray bottle, dilute a few drops of your chosen essential oil in water and spray directly onto your dog's coat.

• Brewer's yeast in their food is supposed to help. Essential oils can be effective, but use them carefully on pets. Here's a link with more information:

https://care4dogs.net/essential-oils-for-fleas-and-ticks-on-dogs/

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Apr 24, 2020

Be careful what you put on a pet's fur or skin. Some have allergic reactions or lick the spot and it makes them sick. Check with your vet first. Good luck and stay safe!

• Mogie Mogie on Apr 24, 2020

Ways to Naturally Get Rid of Fleas on Dogs

Use a flea comb

Use apple cider vinegar to repel fleas

Wash bedding and use heat

Diatomaceous Earth

Essential oils

• My brother-in-law swore by fresh eucalyptus. He some how would attach or added a pouch to the collar. Replaced when necessary. Worked for him

• Craft Invaders Craft Invaders on Apr 25, 2020

Quite a few essential oils are toxic to dogs so double check if you do make up your own DIY recipe :)

• Em Em on Apr 26, 2020

As an added note: you may want to consider vet approved medications. I hate to give these to my pets but the consequences of fleas can be much worse. An infestation in your house is something you do NOT ever want to deal with. One female flea can lay 100's of eggs. They are as small as a grain of rice and roll like a chicken egg. They get into your carpet and cracks of the floor. When they cannot find a host (dog or cat) they will bite humans. You pet is in misery when THEY get bitten. Fleas carry disease and can transmit tapeworms.

Please find a way to treat them properly. Have had pets for over 50 years, dogs and cats and have had to deal with all of this including bombing my house. Use what the vets advise and find a way to deal with the cost. Chewy.com will fill prescriptions for less money than the vets. They call your vet to get a copy of the prescription and mail it to your door.

do yourself and your pets a favor and do what works.

• Betsy Betsy on Apr 28, 2020

Hi Brianna: Aaaaaggggghhhhh fleas, the worst! If your fleas are on your pet, they are all over your house. Here's what I did when my cat had fleas: You can wash your pet in a bath of Blue Dawn dish washing soap. Let the suds sit on the pet for at least 5 minutes, and rinse off very well. Then, blow dry your pet on a white towel and you will see the dead fleas fall off. I have had very good luck with Frontline, just be sure that the package DOES NOT have an expiration date. Frontline doesn't have an expiration date, but the knock-offs do. Get the right dose for the size of your pet, you don't want to over dose or under dose your pet.

You can also make a spray of a couple drops of Dawn and water and spray around your house. This should kill the fleas. Fleas live about 2 or 3 months, so don't look for a quick fix :( When you vacuum your floors, empty the tube, if that's the type of vacuum you have, or remove the bag and put the whole thing in a plastic bag and throw away outside. The fleas will live in the vacuum and then sneak out and start living large in your house if you don't. It will take a while to get rid of them, so hang in there.

Good luck