What should I do to the top?

+27
q what should i do to the top
  • Dee Dee on Apr 11, 2021

I cannot tell what the top looks like from the picture. But Maybe restain a darker color and then seal. I would not paint it white.

• See 1 previous
    • Dee Dee on Apr 12, 2021

Lightly sand the finish and make sure you get all the dust off. Then stain with whatever color stain you like. I think you can go with a white pickle stain or the opposite way a very dark stain. You will have to do several coats. I like General Finishes stain, you can call them and they will advise you which top coat to put on. You need a good top coat to keep the finish looking nice and General Finishes Makes one of the best.

Whatever you do-- Do NOT use chalk paint it will not last.

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Apr 11, 2021

Hello. Does the top have any damage issues you wish to correct her you do do you just wish to change the two tone style?

If you’re looking at for creative ideas for painted furniture I will suggest you to look at my favorite bloggers website.

From the link below -You will see an overwhelming library of her chalk painted products as well as go to her YouTube channel to see the demonstrations of the chalk painting. I hope this might give you some ideas for your table. Hope this helps

https://www.confessionsofaserialdiyer.com/diy-gallery/ Hope this helps.

• Mogie Mogie on Apr 11, 2021

Since I can't see the table top very well here is what I would do.

Stencil and then seal. Here are some cute ideas:

https://www.cuttingedgestencils.com/blog/add-charm-to-your-dated-dining-table-using-stencils.html

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Apr 11, 2021

Wish I could see the top or know what you'd like to do. At this point, I'd leave it alone unless there is damage to it, then sand and refinish.

To me the base looks out of sync with the rooms, I would paint it more of a gray.

• LorriLJ LorriLJ on Apr 11, 2021

The table top seems to match your buffet in the background. I would try to keep it the same if possible. Then repaint the base black brown to visually disappear the casters/wheels. Lightly distress the base to see the original wood in places to highlight the unique details if you like that look.

It's a gorgeous table!

• See 1 previous
    • LorriLJ LorriLJ on Apr 12, 2021

Are there gouges or scratches on the top or just the hazing? If it's just hazing, strip the finish. Then lightly sand and restrain then seal it. To sand indoors, get a clear shower curtain. Lay it across the area then slide your arm underneath to do the sanding. Let it settle before carefully lifting and folding the curtain in on itself to take outside for a good shake. To collect the dust left on your piece and any which fell to the floor use a lightly water misted cloth to wipe it up. It may take a couple of swipes. It's only a light sanding to smooth the surface.

Hope this helps.

• William William on Apr 11, 2021

All depends on your style and taste. Some ideas here

https://www.hometalk.com/search/posts?filter=paint%20table

• I would leave it as is. The wood is beautiful!

• Chloe Crabtree Chloe Crabtree on Apr 11, 2021

I would strip it and paint it white.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Apr 12, 2021

You could stain a slightly lighter color or leave as is. I would add a few extra coats of poly for extra protection.

• See 1 previous

I couldn't see that from the photo. Yes, I would sand it on the top and re stain to match or go darker. Those intricately carved sides will be a bit much to sand to go lighter. If you don't like the base color, you could re-paint but I think with a re do on the top you would be happy with it.

• Jody Price Jody Price on Apr 12, 2021

I think I might gel stain the whole thing black... It's WAY to heavy to carry outside to sand. It took 4 men to bring it into the house. The table and chairs (cushioned) and buffet need an elegant touch. What do you think? I have to find the RIGHT fabric to recover the chair cushions...

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on Apr 13, 2021

you could chalk or milk paint it; you could strip it and make it lighter with stain or paint; you could paint it any color you like- you could distress it or antique the top

• Deb K Deb K on Apr 13, 2021

Hello, I would do a nice chalk paint finish on the top, super easy to do and such a nice finish!

https://www.anniesloan.com/techniques/how-to-paint-and-lacquer-a-kitchen-table-with-chalk-paint/

• Annie Annie on Apr 17, 2021

That depends what you want the table to look like...... Please be a bit more specific what you are wanting..

• Jody Price Jody Price on Apr 17, 2021

Thank you so so much for your answers!

• Dana Damon Dana Damon on Apr 18, 2021

I can tell you have some detail in the side of the table which would mean that you could get a really pretty look if you distressed the top. Basically don't strip the wood but sand it, then use a steal brush on those sides (lightly as not to damage the wood) paint with a chalk paint color that you like and seal it. The sides of the table have a great pattern and it would be beautiful distressed. Good luck with anything you decide to do.

• Betsy Betsy on Apr 20, 2021

Hi Jody: You can get a piece of grass or plexiglass, cut to fit. It will save the table top and you can put something decorative under the glass. My friend has a large doily that her grandmother made, under hers.

• Marion Nesbitt Marion Nesbitt on Apr 26, 2021

I would do nothing to the top. I'd strip the bottom and return it to its former glory.