How to protect my dryer from rust when in the garage?

+19

,how to protect my dryer from rust when in the garage? I live in South Florida where the humidity is high and hot most of the year. My washer and dryer always rust due to the laundry room in the garage area. I want to get new ones. what can I do to prevent this happening again.?

• A dehumidifier may help.

• Nan W. Nan W. on Oct 05, 2020

I agree with Ann... a dehumidifier.

• Peggy L Burnette Peggy L Burnette on Oct 05, 2020

Hi Vada, sorry you are having problems with rust on your dryer in the garage. I hope this will help you. How do I stop/prevent and hide those spots?? Clean the rust off, then paint with porcelain paint. It comes in little bottles made for appliances. When done washing & drying clothes, cover the machines with a heavy tarp.Feb 15, 2019

How to protect my washer & dryer from rust? | Hometalk

www.hometalk.com › q-how-to-protect-washer-m-dryer

• You can buy a venting kit and have the dryer vented to let the heat outside.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Oct 06, 2020

How would removal of some of the heat in the garage (via a vent) lead to less rust build up? Wouldn't the hot air contribute to less rust development as it should help to dry out some of the moisture?

• K. Rupp K. Rupp on Oct 06, 2020

yes I agree a dehumidifier!

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Oct 06, 2020

Well, a dehumidifier in the garage may help, but a garage typically has a door, a very large door, that opens and closes for cars to come in and out. That is a large exchange of air and it would be hard to regulate that area with a dehumidifier. We don't know if the garage is sealed and insulated or if it is drafty. It may be an expensive and nearly uncontrollable effort to use a dehumidifier unless the garage's condition is pretty close to a room in the house. Prevention of rust spots maybe a lost cause, so pretty much all you can do is treat the rust areas as they appear...or find a space in the house to put the dryer with a controlled environment and venting to the outside. Or, yet, go to the laundramat. So far Peggy has help for you in treating the rust. Best to you.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Oct 06, 2020

Invest in a dehumidifier for the room. You could purchase products like "damp rid" but in the long run you will be better off with purchasing a unit that will pull the moisture out. Keep a close eye and if you do see beginning signs, paint with a rust resistant paint. You might also try sealing with a clear coat of RustOleum.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Oct 06, 2020

Hi Vanda,

Maybe by painting it in a Plastic Paint would help or covering it with something like Contact!

• Unless your garage is insulated well and openings sealed when shut, a dehumidifier won't accomplish much. Unless you can enclose the units in a closet type area that you build and insulate, I'm here to save your electric bill as running those dehumidifiers, especially non-stop as you would be, is very expensive.

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on Oct 06, 2020

Are you talking about it rusting on the outside or the inside? If it is outside here is some info for you

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/protect-appliances-rust-stains-25525.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/tampa-bay/1283940-washer-dryer-unairconditioned-garage.html

from the second article above it appears a small window unit AC would help with the rusting problem

• Simple Nature Decor Simple Nature Decor on Oct 06, 2020

They sell covers for appliances check amazon

• Maybe you can find some tips in this video that would help with the appliance and to prevent it from rusting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCukbi55CHw

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Oct 06, 2020

Hi! Assuming you have the dryer well vented, I would think about partitioning that part of the garage, insulation and adding some ventilation. Maybe an exhaust fan that you could run during and after using them if you don't want to use a dehumidifier. Someone else mentioned an air conditioner and they remove moisture, too. Good luck and stay safe!

• Betsy Betsy on Oct 06, 2020

Hi Vada: You might try getting some of those humidity catchers from the Dollar Tree. They work really well. Also, if you can circulate the air in there, with a ceiling fan or a floor fan, and leave the garage door or a window open a crack, that might help. Also, if you can lift them off of the floor on a palate, that couldn't hurt. Good luck

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Oct 07, 2020

Thats a frustrating situation my garage is the same way. A dehumidifier might be the solution.

• Ken Erickson Ken Erickson on Oct 08, 2020

Dehumidifier may work. Enclose the laundry area to minimize the amount of air being treated.

• Maura White Maura White on Oct 08, 2020

Wherever you buy your washer and dryer from, you should shop in person and ask specifically about a brand that wouldn't rust. Try Home Depot and Lowes and see what they can tell you. I'd also bring pictures of your current ones to show them what you want to avoid.

• Nick Ornitz Nick Ornitz on Oct 08, 2020

If you are still looking for advice - check out https://hellodwelling.com - you can chat with an appliance professional for advice on how best to protect your dryer.

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Oct 10, 2020

Try to lift them off the floor

• Deb K Deb K on Oct 12, 2020

Hello Vada772, you can start by putting a protective coat of wax on the exterior of the appliances, but most importantly, you need to ensure you dryer vent is going outside and not adding to your humidity, Also try to put them on mats so they are not on the concrete., hope this helps you out!