Particle Board Repair?

+19

My dog peed here and the particle board swelled up and looks terrible! Is there a way to repair this at all?

q particle board repair
  • Flipturn Flipturn on Sep 02, 2021

What is the object that is damaged and how is it used?

(The picture does not show what it is).

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Sep 02, 2021

I was wondering the same thing as Flipturn, what is it we are looking at?

If possible, replace it, the odor might not come out because the particle board has soaked up the urine.

Here is a link, in genera,ll,on how to repair particle board:

https://www.hunker.com/12400773/how-to-repair-water-damaged-particleboard

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Sep 02, 2021

Hi, You could cut it out and replace with new and re-finish, or cut out and replace with a deep skirting board, or cover part or whole side with a metal sheet.

• I would cut off the damaged part and replace it with a new piece.

• Sandy Dunn Sandy Dunn on Sep 02, 2021

It's my hallway entry framing.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Sep 02, 2021

You can cut out the section and replace it.

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Sep 02, 2021

Before trying to replace it I would try to sand it down smooth - there's always a chance that it can be made to look flat and smooth again. Repaint after sanding and see out it looks.

• Em Em on Sep 02, 2021

Use a multitool to cut the piece that has been affected. Replace it with a piece of wood the same size using IT as a pattern. Used Loctite adhesive in a caulking tube to replace it or screw it into the backing behind it. Use spackling to fill the crack and repaint the whole strip.

• Sandy Dunn Sandy Dunn on Sep 02, 2021

Thank you everyone!

• Mogie Mogie on Sep 02, 2021

Cut out the bad piece and replace that but NOT with more particle board. That stuff doesn't hold up well if there is water around.

If you are concerned about the looks then just replace that entire piece and then paint to match the surrounding.

• Maura White Maura White on Sep 02, 2021

Particle board is a tough one to repair after water damage. Can you turn it so that side doesn't show? You could try sanding it down a bit and painting over it.

• Dee Dee on Sep 02, 2021

I would buy a piece of luann and cover over that area.Particle board is had to fix. The other thing you can try is to use Bondo, sand it down and then repaint

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Sep 02, 2021

Hello. Cutting out the damaged piece- replacing, apply filler if needed and sanding will disguise the repair.

We have also done this same repair in an exterior applications where rainwater has soaked ( wicked upwards) into outside doorway molding.

An effective filling and sanding repair can completely disguise the replacement

• It's hard to tell what this is but you might be able to cut a certain height up, take out the old damaged piece and glue in a new piece. Fill the seam with Durham's putty, sand and repaint. Try a waterproof primer to prevent further accidents.

• Betsy Betsy on Sep 02, 2021

Hi Sandy: Is it possible to cut off the peed on part and just have a shorter item? If your dog smells the pee, he'll just pee on it again. I suggest a product like Odormute to get rid of the smell. It's an enzyme eater, and that's what you need, instead of something to cover the smell.

Good luck

• Catherine Deirdre Rodden Catherine Deirdre Rodden on Sep 03, 2021

Personally, I'd get a section of baseboard. Cut out the damaged piece - or all sides at bottom. Put the pieces of baseboard in place. There are a bunch of baseboard options out there.

• Chloe Crabtree Chloe Crabtree on Sep 03, 2021

It will have to be removed and replaced.

• I highly suggest to cut the damaged part and just replace it.

• Gloria Green Gloria Green on Sep 05, 2021

I would spray it with a cleaner firsts . And metal piece on it.

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Sep 06, 2021

The best way to fix that is to sand off all the extra that is bulging out from the rest the extra that is sticking out sand it then paint it .