How to fix cabinet?


I have a kitchen cabinet from home depot. The bottom shelf have water damage with some cracks. How can I fix it? Do they sale the material to fix it?

  15 answers
  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on Dec 03, 2020

    Could you cut a piece of thin wood to put over the damaged bottom shelf, that might be a good fix depending on how much water damage there is. Since there are cracks in the shelf, there might be warping as well. I would cover it with a new flat surface. Or replace it.

  • GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Dec 03, 2020

    If the shelf isn't fixed into the cabinet I would remove it, take it to Home Depot and have them cut a piece of plywood the exact size to replace it with. If the shelf is NOT removeable you could consider simply covering it with wallpaper etc. In both cases, once its either fixed or replaced, I would make sure to apply several coats of a sealant to help keep this from happening again. Good luck!

  • Betsy Betsy on Dec 03, 2020

    Hi Jessica: You can get a piece of plywood the size and shape of the bottom and just stick it in there. You don't have to screw it down or anything, just stick it in. Sometimes Home Depot or Lowes will cut it for you. The first cut is usually free, and the others are about a quarter each. Just bring the measurements with you.

  • Recreated Designs Recreated Designs on Dec 03, 2020

    Hi Jessica,

    If the shelf if not visible from the outside (there is a door) you could fill the cracks with wood filler and then paint it a fun colour. It would be a surprise when you open the cabinet :)

  • Mogie Mogie on Dec 03, 2020

    Just get a piece of wood and cut it to fit. Use the old piece as a pattern. That would work if the shelf isn't in eye shot.

  • Cynthia H Cynthia H on Dec 04, 2020

    Hi! If it's only minor damage, you can cover it with wood grain adhesive paper or apply inexpensive peel and stick floor tiles. Good luck!

  • Homeroad Homeroad on Dec 04, 2020

    Can you use plywood to make a new shelf? You can trace the old shelf onto the plywood, cut it out, paint it and replace the damaged piece.

  • Morgan McBride Morgan McBride on Dec 04, 2020

    maybe wood filler in the cracks, then sand and paint or stain to match

  • Em Em on Dec 04, 2020

    You can cover it with a piece of thin plywood. Make a paper template by gluing cutting and taping newspaper around the pipes until you have the perfect pattern. Cut new 1/4" ply and paint.

  • Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Dec 04, 2020

    You can replace it with shelving board. That's probably the best route. Once it has water damage it also weakens and the next thing you know, it breaks or crumbles. You can take the old one and get stain to match.

  • Check with Home Depot to see if they offer replacement shelves. You might get lucky and they'll have a spare freebie. If not, you might cut a piece of pre-made shelving or a piece of plywood.

  • Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Dec 04, 2020

    Hello. Could you post a photograph?

    It’s hard to know how severe your damage is. If it’s fairly insignificant or cosmetic you might want to consider coating it with the skim coating Bondo to fill cracks and painting it or covering it with a white board overlayment. If significantly damaged It should be removed and replaced with similar wood or plywood

  • Dee Dee on Dec 04, 2020

    I would go to HD and ask the cabinet designer if there are replacement shelves. If not take measurements and have them cut shelves for you. They do that for free.

  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Dec 06, 2020

    Hello there,

    You need to make and fit another base on top of the old. Measure and make a template with newspaper and Buy timber or MDF from Store (ask advice) pross. 1/4". They may cut it for you.