Repair 2 foot piece of bed frame that broke off?


Well I have another problem to solve! I have a Mission style bed frame. As I was sliding it away from the wall to dust underneath it I heard a crack. It cracked in about a 2 foot piece at the head of the frame where I was pulling it. I see that the piece will fit back together but what will hold it? Will hot glue fix this? Thank you!

  15 answers
  • GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Feb 19, 2021

    I would use steel braces to support the area with screws. Here's a pic. Hope that helps!

  • Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Feb 19, 2021

    You can wood glue it to fit back together, then add braces that screw in to re inforce it. You might also want to check the other side and add a brace there. Usually when one goes, the other isn't far behind.

  • William William on Feb 19, 2021

    I agree. Wood glue and screw in braces. Hot glue will not work.

  • Betsy Betsy on Feb 19, 2021

    Hi Chriss: If you can't find the metal braces, which are really nice, what I would do is on the inside of the frame, make a patch. You do this by getting a piece of wood that's about 1/2 inch thick and at least 3 inches longer than the crack. Put the pieces of frame back together and glue them to hold them steady. Then, take the piece of wood that you have and glue it over the crack. Once that's dry, drill holes in the patch about 1" from each corner. Then screw it together. The screrws should go at least 1/2 way into the frame. You won't see it, but if you think you have to stain it, you can. Been there, done that, and this is what I did. It's held for 20+ years :) If your crack isn't underneath, you can do this to the back of the frame. Then, go to the hardware store and get 4 sliders to put under the legs :) Glue will hold, but not for long.

    Good luck

  • Hot glue will not fix this. You want to use wood glue and braces on the back for extra support.

  • Simple Nature Decor Simple Nature Decor on Feb 19, 2021

    You will need to replace the entire piece that broke off, measure it and have home depot cut it.

  • Dee Dee on Feb 19, 2021

    Wood glue, construction glue and metal braces are the only way to fix this. Hot glue will definitely give away.

  • Cheryl A Cheryl A on Feb 20, 2021

    hot glue is not the best option- use Gorilla glue for wood or any good wood glue

  • Marion Nesbitt Marion Nesbitt on Feb 20, 2021

    Elmer's carpentry glue will work. I've heard Gorilla glue is good, too, but never tried it

  • Mogie Mogie on Feb 20, 2021

    Here is a link to a site that explains that for wood to wood gluing Gorilla Glue is favored.

  • Yes, wood glue and braces. Can you see the crack? If so, you may need to use some wood filler and then gently sand and refinish the area.

  • Sharon Sharon on Feb 20, 2021

    Carpenter's glue will join the break, but you will need to put a wooden brace piece to join the two halves to provide support to bear weight. I would get a piece of lumber 5/8' x width of the cross brace x at least one foot longer on each side of the break. I would glue and screw it over the repaired piece on the inside of the bed frame so its not so visible and I would stain it to match.

  • Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Feb 20, 2021

    Hello. Consider using wood glue and some clamp to temporarily join up the areas.

    If it’s a structural area it may need to be supported with metal braces and screws on the back.

    Posting a picture might give us more information to the degree of damage and if it’s a structural area or not.

    I hope this helps.

  • Chriss Grijak Chriss Grijak on Feb 21, 2021


    I just want to thank all the wonderful people who responded to my problem! The strip of wood around the frame had shattered into pieces....a new piece of wood, braces, screws and wood glue fixed it like new again. And the surprising thing about this is my daughter came over unexpectedly and went to Home Depot and came back and fixed it! 😀

  • Annie Annie on Feb 23, 2021

    You will need a good wood glue and several screws to hold it together. i asssume that the piece that broke is Not visible.. So a piece of metal that spans past the crack would help. Screw or bolt it to the wood. Good Luck