How to fix leaking tap in bathroom with cement walls?

  12 answers
  • on Jun 24, 2021

    If it’s just the faucet that’s leaking - it’s not a big deal. It’s often just replacing old washers or maybe a new faucet is needed. If it’s in the walls that’s tougher for sure.

  • If the leak is in the wall, you may want to call a professional. If the water is leaking from the tap, you may just need to replace washers.

  • Seth Seth on Jun 24, 2021


    It's doubtful there is anything in the wall that is causing a leak you would notice at the tap. Some faucets have a cartridge that is replaceable. Do you have a shutoff valve under the sink? if you are able, shut off the water supply. Open the faucet and make sure the shutoff valve is working and no water comes out. Old valves can corrode over time, get stuck, and not completely shut off the supply. If the valve works, disassemble the tap and take the pieces to a hardware store so you can match replacement parts. There are a lot of youtube videos that will show you how to do it. If all this sounds too intimidating, time to call the plumber.

  • Betsy Betsy on Jun 24, 2021

    Hi Hilda: Good news, if the tap is leaking, it's most likely not in the wall :) It's easy to change a washer. Here's how to do it:

    Fix a faucet:

    Two important things to do, shut the water off from the pipes that go to the faucet is to let the faucet run until it stops, then, close the stopper on the drain and put a wash cloth over that so that you don't lose anything down the drain. Then, when you are disassembling the faucet, get a hand towel, and a nickle. Lay the towel out flat and when you take something off, lay it on the towel. The first thing should be at the upper left, and everything after that should go to the right, just like you took it off. Get your phone out and take a picture of the washer just like you took it off, i.e., the narrow end down or up or whatever. A picture will remind you of how it came off. Then, take everything else off until it's empty. Use a rag to clean out the area and get all of the water out. Then, take the washer and put it in your pocket. Put the nickel where the washer was so you know which part it goes on after. Take the washer to the hardware or home improvement store, match it up and start to put the faucet back together, starting with the last piece you took off. When you get to the washer, look at the picture on your phone because you know you forgot which end goes down:) Snug everything down, not too tight, just snug, turn on the water and see if anything squirts out. If not, then turn on the tap and check for leaks.

    You can do this, I have faith in you! Good luck

  • Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Jun 24, 2021

    Hello. Many of the bathroom faucets that I have had—- have needed it servicing with new replacement parts or cartridges. Some parts are more expensive than others. Replacement parts might be considered If if you wish to examine and disassemble your faucet parts. Alternatively or purchasing a completely new faucet could be options to consider.

  • Mogie Mogie on Jun 24, 2021

    To change the washer:

    • Remove the screw or nut and rubber washer from the bottom of the tap stem. ...
    • Take the old rubber washer to a hardware store to find a match. Tap washers vary in size and thickness based on the faucet make and model.
    • Place the new washer and old screw/nut onto the bottom of the tap stem. ...
    • Clean off any limescale on the tap stem and tap seat with steel wool. ...
    • Reinstall the tap stem, packing nut, handle, screw, and cap. Reassembling the tap is the same as disassembling it, only in reverse.
    • Turn on the water supply and test for leaks. Twist the hot and cold shutoff valves counterclockwise to turn the water supply back on, then open both faucet taps.

  • Cynthia H Cynthia H on Jun 25, 2021

    Hi! Most likely a washer or replacement cartridge. Look it up online and there should be a tutorial or video to help stop the leak. Good luck!

  • Lindsay Aratari Lindsay Aratari on Jun 25, 2021

    Agreed with the above of it being a washer

  • Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Jun 25, 2021

    It’s probably just the washer see if the tip of the faucet unscrews off there is a washer in there you might need a new one

  • Annie Annie on Jun 28, 2021

    Please add a pic or two of the tap and where it comes out of the wall

  • The issue is likely not in the wall but rather a part or more in the faucet or handles that have worn out. Shut off the water at the wall, disassemble your fixture and replace any parts that look worn. Bring the old parts to the store to match with new.