Top down bottom up window treatments?

+17

Has anyone out there had any experience w/the above mentioned window treatments? If so, pros/cons and where is a good source for purchasing!

Thank you

• Flipturn Flipturn on Nov 21, 2021

Although I do not have any personal experience with this style of window coverings, here are two links with current information on the subject:

https://homesteadandprepper.com/best-top-down-bottom-up-blinds/

https://www.businessinsider.com/best-blinds-shades#west-elm-6

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Nov 21, 2021

Here is a link for you, read the reviews carefully as some have had luck with them and some have not, in other words, they work good in theory. If you get them I would suggest you buy local so you have the support of people who can be directly contacted if something goes wrong:

https://www.amazon.com/Achim-Home-Furnishings-Top-Down-Honeycomb/dp/B0144N7VZA/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=Top%2BDown%2BBottom%2BUp%2BShades&qid=1637495746&sr=8-5&th=1

• I once knew someone who had them and loved them. Be sure to use a quality brand. Here's a link with more information:

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/best-cellular-shades/

• Janice Janice on Nov 21, 2021

I had them installed in one of my previous homes and we really enjoyed them. They help to block any views you don't want to see, while still allowing light and scenery at the upper portion of the windows. We purchased them while living in a bi-level home in a neighborhood where street views were not optimal, so we enjoyed blocking that and still seeing the trees and sky outside. I'm not sure where we purchased, but it was a well-advertised brand. We measured and installed them ourselves. It was pricey but well worth it to us!

• Here is a nice review on them with the benefits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYQrQYxtG7Q

• Annie Annie on Nov 21, 2021

We had these in one of our homes and didn't like them, they weren't very good quality. Be sure to read reviews of whatever manufacturer you decide to go with.

• Mogie Mogie on Nov 21, 2021

Pros

• It is very simple and hassle-free to get the product installed.
    • The Achim shades are easy to operate and function smoothly.
    • It reduces the heat to some good extent
    • You can still enjoy the daylight since it does not, while it cuts back the heat.
    • You can expect the Achim shades to get along pretty well with your interior set up and décor.
    • Cordless operation makes the operation even better, and there is no worry of pets or children tangling.
    • Quite easy to maintenance. Simple dusting and vacuuming will be enough for keeping the shade spotless.

Cons

• In a few circumstances, the shades are claimed to be of the wrong fit; however, this can be solved if you measure your windows properly and choose the right size.
    • The product is not recommended for inaccessible windows or the windows that are of large size.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Nov 21, 2021

If you are wanting window coverings that give both privacy and light at the same time, split hidden tilt shutters are another option available. I do have personal experience with these, and prefer them to the cellular shades, as they are more versatile, and much easier to clean.

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Nov 21, 2021

Very interesting question. I would be interested in reviewing replies from actual users. I too have won about ease of operation and installation differences as well as the ideal situation they are placed in.

• I've been considering them as well for a room that faces a neighbor's house. She has them and loves them. Blinds.com. was recommended to me. I also really like the above suggestion of shutters. That's another option I was considering, as well.

• 1cs1267 1cs1267 on Nov 22, 2021

That's funny what you said about shutters ... my house which I built in the late 1980's has the original shutters ... and that is what I am wanting to replace!!! The shutters are wooden, and I don't think they will clean up well/easily ... and/or be a nightmare to repaint. I thought the top down/bottom up "shades" might be a more modern update.

• Painting them would be a nightmare. I actually removed the slats on a shuttered cabinet in my 1920's cottage and replaced them with fabric, because I couldn't face painting them! However, mine were very, very old. Yours might be in better shape and clean up easier. As far as a modern update, shutters are back in style and a friend who owns a Hunter Douglas biz says that shutters are fast becoming the most requested window treatment lately. So you're already in style!! Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Betsy Betsy on Nov 23, 2021

Hi 1cs: My daughter bought some several years ago and loves them. I think she got them at Home Depot. The only thing she didn't like was cleaning them, but vacuuming them when she did the carpet took care of that. Here's a site that seems to have them:

https://www.blinds.com/m/top-down-bottom-up?filters={}&width=24&height=36&pagesize=24&sorts=IsFeatured%20Desc,Price%20Asc&q=%27%27

Good luck

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Nov 24, 2021

Sounds like you have a Sliding Sash Window. Fit the Curtain above window on frame!

• Chloe Crabtree Chloe Crabtree on Nov 24, 2021

I had them in a previous condo, they are fabulous! I used a local company, so I would look for a local referral. It is so wonderful to be able to use these for privacy at the bottom, but light coming in at the top!

• Simple Nature Decor Simple Nature Decor on Nov 25, 2021

It will be costly to cover, I would keep it open

• Dee Dee on Nov 27, 2021

From what I read, Amazon has these at a good price. I would investigate Lowes or Home Depot as they carry Levolor and Lowes cuts them to fit windows. So no hassle and local

• Mogie Mogie on Nov 27, 2021

It seems logical that this would give you so much more control over the lighting. I have never had these but you have peaked my interest. Anything that gives you more control over your privacy is a good thing. Please let us know what you settle on and how it is working for you.

• I've had those in various places and I liked them. They allow you to switch around the shade depending on what kind of privacy or light blocking you want at the moment. I'd recommend them. You could try checking around online or at your local home improvement store.