Create a Halloween Wreath With Creepy Crows

$30

I have decided to decorate with black crows for Halloween this year on my new front porch. I bought a number of crows last year at the Dollar Tree and never had a good idea for how to use them, but time changes that and here I am with all my crows and I have begun to formulate my ideas for my Halloween decor. I wanted to begin with a door decoration so I will show you how to create a Halloween Wreath with creepy black crows.
I found this oval cardboard from the back of an old picture frame and immediately knew this would be my base. I was kind of excited that it was going to be oval and not round, I don’t know why, but I just felt that made it a little creepier.
I sprayed the cardboard silver and then took all of my crows and (no real birds were used in the creation of this wreath) cut off all of their legs with wire cutters.
After all of their legs were cut off, I began gluing them to the silver oval with my hot glue gun.
I thought I had plenty of these birds, but of course when I got to the end, guess what? I was short one bird! Look at that gap! This would not do! Trips to all of the local Dollar Tree stores have turned up spiders and rats but no crows. I did find some really big crows with spread wings at my local At Home store, so I picked up a few of those for my front porch. When I got home, I decided I would just add a bow and one large crow, as if he is the king of the crows.
After all of my small crows were glued on, I decided they needed a little more creepiness, so I used some .99 red nail polish and painted all of their eyes red. It doesn’t show up very well, but in person, it really makes a difference. My king crow got the same treatment.
I also decided a little black glitter would add a bit of shimmer, so I brushed a little craft glue to the head of each crow and sprinkled a little black glitter on each of them. I am really happy with the outcome.
I knew I wanted to warn Halloween visitors to “beware” of the crows, and while I was at Dollar Tree I spotted this trick-or-treat bag with a skull and crossbones and the word BEWARE. Oh that was just perfect, and at $1 the price was right.
I cut the BEWARE from of the bag and put the skull and crossbones away for a future project. I then used Mod Podge to attach the BEWARE to the center of my silver oval.
I needed to fill that gap, so I used this great orange and black lace ribbon I found at Michael’s, tied a bow, attached it and then added my king crow to the top of the bow. I imagine he is holding court, giving his minions their orders for a spooky Halloween!
My door will be all ready to warn the trick-or-treaters. Beware the birds should you come to my house this Halloween!

Chloe Crabtree

• Diane Reniers Grace

Where did you find the crows?

• Donna

How do the crows hold up to the weather?

• Chloe Crabtree

I had mine hung on my front door for at least 20 days last year and they still look great, but I do have a deep covered front porch. I hope that helps. I know mine didn't get any direct rainfall on them, but I do live in a very humid climate.

• Linda

I am not sure what your base is. Is it just the paper from back of frame or some other part that is stiffer?

• Linda

I think your crow wreath is very creepy and the perfect wreath for Halloween.

• Cindy

If I can find crows, I'm going to give it a try! Thank you!