Citristrip & Saran Wrap to Remove Finishes

This antique coffee table was given to me by my neighbor. When I refinish a piece and want to re-stain the top I either use my sander or use this Citristrip/Saran Wrap trick. I use the CS/SW trick when there are layers and layers of paint or delicate creases & details. The Citristrip gets in the crevices and does the job. The Saran Wrap is Citristrip's side kick! It keeps the heat in and makes the Citristrip work more effectively.
citristrip suran wrap to remove finishes, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects
My plans were to re-stain the top and paint the bottom white & glaze the details. BUT Oh how plans change when you listen to the piece.
First you lather a good amount of Citristrip to the surface. Get it into the crevasses really well.
I use cheap ol' Saran Warp.
Making sure I push all the air out and push it into all the nooks & crannies.
I leave it for 12-24 hrs.
Come back a day later and the magic has happened!
It turns the previous varnish, stain or paint into light powder like substance. It's not the gooey, sticky Citristrip substance that you get when you don't wait a day or so to remove.
I use 50/50 D-natured alcohol/H20 & a soft bristle tooth brush to remove excess Citristrip.
I then set the table in the sun for a few hrs to dry out. Took my 180 grit sand paper and smoothed it out with my sander.
A coat of wood conditioner that I make (50/50 Shellac/D-natured alcohol) & let it dry. The seal with General Finishes Arm-R-Seal.
This is when I knew that the choice of not painting was the best choice for this piece. Look at the two toned color of the wood. I don't always paint!
That beautiful top was been ignored but not any longer!!
You can see more of my pieces on my FB pge Rehab to Fab.
Stephanie  Coon/Rehab to Fab

• Carol jones

I'm confused...what is citripstrip and where is it purchased? Also, its spelled suran wrap but is it actually saran wrap?

• Laurie K

@Carol jones It IS spelled Saran wrap. Check out a box in the store sometime.

• Linda Hentsch

@Laurie K The facebook link says suran wrap. I'm sure it was just a typo!

• Laurie K

Yes, I guess so. But the box of her wrap doesn't look like a Saran box either, Perhaps she was just generalizing the name. Perhaps she refers to all of those plastic wraps as 'Saran wrap'.

• Pat2901985

Don't sweat the small stuff

• AmyG

@Carol jones Citristrip is a paint stripper that doesn't have the really harsh chemicals in it - and the use of Saran wrap is to lay over the layer of Citristrip so it doesn't dry out and it keeps it more active to lift the layer of paint off.

, same drawer after removing layer of paint, painted dress with citristrip and saran wrap
    • Christine

Why not cut open those millions of plastic grocery bags that end up in landfills and streams? Press them in, printed side OUT! That's what I do.

• Kathie Elia

I think I'd try it out first on a trial board just in case it wouldn't work like another person had said. But if it does that would be great! Glad I finally stopped using any plastic bags, I had them piled up everywhere!

• Lynnie

I have a very old fireplace mantel that I started to strip with citristrip- and there are some stubborn patches. We did the goopy citri-strip method. The mantel has some very old thin wood veneer though- I wonder if leaving it sit with saran wrap would be too damaging on the veneer?

• Christine

@Lynnie Nope. Just be careful removing the Citristrip because it will wet the wood veneer and make it soft. I'd leave it on no more than 2 hours and check it. I'd also wipe it off gently with a scrubby vs trying to scrape it off. If all the paint doesn't come off, do it again, but cover it all with the Citristrip again or it'll become splotchy. You can't "spot remove" with Citristrip.

• Christine

Stephanie, Have I mentioned how much I LOVE your floors, too!?

• Georgia

Rehab to Fab - Does this work on wood that is veneer?

• Victoria Howard

I have no idea what Citristrip is, or where to find it. I have a painted bookcase that I'd like to put back to a wood finish. Would that work?

• AmyG

@Victoria Howard Citristrip is a paint remover that is not as caustic as a lot on the market - it works amazing and you can find it at Lowe's and Home Depot

• Victoria Howard

@AmyG Thank you!!!

• Julie Edwards

Question about my 'corner cat' sander...it's leaving swirls regardless of gritt or pressure...... Is it him or me ha?

• Mary

can you use this trick on a staircase.(banister/ spindles) I want to refinish my staircase and was wondering if it would work. Thank you Mary

• Christine

@Trkcrw123 This stuff is made for vertical surfaces. That said, don't put it on so thick that it slides off. Once Citristrip leaves contact with the wood, it obviously stops working. The plastic holds it against the wood. The hardest part is not peeking. Just go to work or something.

• Deb Mill

Does anyone know where you go to buy the citristrip... and what it's texture etc. is like??

• Christine

@Deb Mill Home Depot sells it, but not Lowe's. It's like lotion. Put it on like smoothing on frosting. I LOVE this stuff. Makes stripping fun. (You can use plastic wal-mart bags rather than expensive-er - I made that up - saran wrap.) Don't need space suits or gloves. I do this in front of the TV in my jammies.

• Trudy

Thanks Deb, I'm a Lowes girl (because it's closer) and have never found it. On my way to HomeDepot soon! My son does this with trash bags; not as cheap as reusing but bigger so easier.

• Trudy

Citristrip I have an old door to do. will it harm glass?

• Lisa Block

No

• Jewellmartin

Tape off the glass anyway, and maybe nearby wood, too. The more that is exposed that you don't want to be affected, the more cleanup you will have.
  • MC

Do you know if this would work to strip hardwood floors? We purchased an older home with pickled hardwood in the entry.

• Lee

It will work, BUT, there is a better way. Hire a business that refinishs floors

• Lee

Or you can rent a powerful sander. Research to see if you can do it yourself. It would be s big project and nice when done

• Cyndi Dimanno-Valentine

Rent a drum sander for hardwood floors

• Joni Kinsey

Cyndi, I love that you answered the question with helpful to the point information, and showed respect to person on the other end.

• Cyndi Dimanno-Valentine

I watch to much Rehab Addict. More power to Nicole Curtis

• MC

I've asked a professional floor refinishing company to come and look but they told me it was a long shot as to whether it would work or not. Apparently the hardwood is very thin and when pickling is done, paint soaks into the wood - there's no way to tell how deep the white has absorbed until you start to sand it. Apparently, he thought it would be too deep to sand without taking a BIG chance it would ruin the floors altogether. Didn't know if you thought the Citistrip would work or not.

• Lee

you could do a test handsanding run someplace that would be hidden. and if a baseboard is removed, you may beable to see what kind of thickness you have.

• Just Joan

Hi MC, I would try try the citrus strip/plastic wrap idea on the entry way, hopefully it isn't too big. If you are not pleased with the result and you had the budget to get floor tile on sale, the old hardwood could be cut out in a square or rectangle, so the tile is level with the floor. The tile could be plain or you could really "push the boat out" and come up with a decorative pattern so the entry way becomes a real "jewel" in your home.

• Roberta Lenski

Saran Wrap comes in two formulations, Low-density polyethylene (LDPE) and Polyvinylidene chloride (PVDC), depending on whether you purchase "premium" or regular. (I am assuming you are using Saran brand as plastic wrap cannot be called Saran unless it is actually Saran brand and other plastic wrap can be of different compositions.) My question is which type is best to use? The chemicals in the paint remover could have different effects on the plastics - perhaps even dangers. Did you research this? this appears to be a great technique, but I want to be safe and responsible.

• Karrie

It looks like she used Great Value plastic wrap. You seem to be splitting hairs on verbiage. Are you an attorney?

• Roberta Lenski

No, but I am careful about making mistakes. I do not want to waste money or take a health risk.

• Stephanie Coon/Rehab to Fab

Then don't use the trick. No harm done.

• Joni Kinsey

Here is exactly what I'm speaking about

• Cindy

GEEEEZ People! All Roberta is doing is trying to figure out if one plastic wrap reacts with the stripper!! Why you gotta be so rude??

• Nancy

Where do you get citristrip?

• Susan Dye

The type/brand does make a difference. I tried this method using Stretch Tight brand and the Citristrip practically melted it. I could not seal it well or push it around at all without it tearing as though it was melted. Was very disappointed that it didn't work for me. Made a mess.

• Stephanie Coon/Rehab to Fab

I obviously used Walmart brand and it didn't react.

• Renee' Polcher

Would you do it on Kitchen cupboards? I'm scared to try it, but it would be great to redo my cupboards.

• Lee

To strip and refinish kitchen cabinets would be a very BIG JOB, and is not cheap to do (inexpensive) and many working project hours should be planned. The stripper itself is costly, each door will take separate time and product to do it's work, scrapping, sanding, staining, and varnishing. The piece being stripped needs its own work-area and time for the stripper to work. It is a messy project. The type of wood your cabinets are will detate if this cost is justified. I believe this is why painting the cabinets is done more often . If you decide to proceed, please take many pictures and post your progress. Have fun.

• Renee' Polcher

Thank you Lee, the cabinets are all solid oak and in perfect shape, I just would like to be able to make the stain on them darker than they are right now. Would they have to be completely stripped down to do that?

• Lee

for the stain to work the varnish seal would have to be removed. you could try on an inside spot and see how it works, I think it will just sit and not soak in

• Joni Kinsey

Renee' I did a light sanding on my oak cabinets in my old house then put a mix of dark Cherry and Mahogany stain by minwax on them, it came out beautiful.

• Joni Kinsey

You were asked a very valid question Stephanie, even though I don't see this process causing any problems. You're a blogger show some professionalism when you answer, it seems only coo doos get your respect. It's not always a perfect world.

• Stephanie Coon/Rehab to Fab

I wouldn't strip cabinets as most are just ugly honey oak. I paint cabinets.

• Carol Jackson

For those of us who don't paint everything yes it works on cabinets. I had to choose my battle and stripped kitchen cabinets instead of painting. Plus side, got to paint wood trim through rest of the house. Almost a win/win ;=)

• Jan F

Does this process work on wood that is water stained and a bit warped from water?

• Wjgp

It's a project on paint/varnish stripping. It may change the appearance of water marks as a bonus but it is not designed to fix warps. It's a good way to improve the efficiency of paint stripping.

• Jewel Scharf Galetta

Will any paint stripper work?

• Wjgp

This technique will improve the efficiency of any paint stripper that doesn't react with the plastic wrap. The wrap functions as a method of keeping the stripper in close contact with the paint and prevents the stuff from drying out too quickly. Similar concept to wrapping a poultice.

• Stephanie Coon/Rehab to Fab

More toxic stripper will eat the plastic wrap.

• Joyce Perrone

LOOKS FAB! I HAVE A DUNCAN P. DINING TABLE WITH A FEW DINGS & SCRATCHES. I CAN USE THE CITRISTRIP & WRAP FOR FINISH,BUT WHAT TO DO ABOUT DINGS & SCRATCHES?

• Stephanie Coon/Rehab to Fab

Sand them out. If it's just a dent. Use a damp rag. Hot iron and iron the damp rag on top of the dent. It'll pull the dent back up.

• Ranger

I don't think we get Citristrip in New Zealand, at least I have never heard of it. What is it, please?

• Elena

@Ranger It removes the paint,

• Ranger

@Elena Thanks, Elena; so a regular old paint stripper? Here, that is a product of layer it on and scrape it off - a lot of elbow grease. Your ideas seems very simple... :)

• Kaytedec

Available at AMAZON.COM Product Description Qt, citristrip paint & Varnish stripping gel, fresh orange scent, contains no methylene chloride, strips multiple layers, stays active up to 24 hours, for both indoor & outdoor use, effective on wood, metal & masonry to remove most paints, shellacs, polyurethanes, lacquers, epoxies & Varnish, thick enough to use on vertical surfaces. From the Manufacturer Homes need as much love as the people in them. With Citristrip, you can safely remove layers of yesteryear from your furniture, cabinets, doors, and other painted surfaces. It's biodegradable. And it smells pretty nice too. Paint remover needs to stay wet to work. Citristrip stays wet for 24 hours. So you can cover and strip an entire dining room set in one go. If it's too wintery to strip your furniture outside, or if your furniture is nailed down inside, Citristrip is safe for indoor use. That's because it's made without methylene chloride. Citristrip smells like oranges instead of eye-watering chemicals. And its orange color helps the stripper gel stand out on a surface, so you know where you've applied it.

• Lar8321937

Home Depot sells it. It didn't lift as much as I needed, and I left it 24 hrs. I didn't know the plastic wrap trick, I will have to try that next time. Thanks

• Carol Jackson

As long as you put a thick application on, this stuff is great. I leave it on for minimum of 12 hours and the old finish practically jumps off the piece.

• Car5400947

I was wondering if you could use this method on an painted aluminium garden table and chairs? They have been painted a few times and are quite intricate.

• Lonnie

Their site says "can be used on wood, metal and masonry".

• Car5400947

Thank you...think I will try it!

• Linda Roberts

My grandparents had a simular coffee table, they had a piece of glass cut to fit the top, it was beautiful!

• Machaela Antholz-Beltzer

Ever tried this on painted woodwork/trim?

• Wbi8980716

What is citristrip? Is there a recipe if it is not available in the USA? Thanks, I have spent hours stripping furniture in my younger days...

• Kay Schwartz

Can any of these products be used inside my apartment? Which ones are they. I have a piece that I want to do.

• Vanessa

Hi I'm from the dreary UK can you explain what Citristrip is please?

• Dawn Kelly Erikson

Would I be able to use this on a veneer top?

• Sasha Star Griner

I tried this once and the citristrip melted the plastic wrap! Why would that happen? I originally thought I misread it somewhere and I was wrong...but it seems to have worked for you.

• Have no idea.

• Jennifer Vallot

It may be possible that the citristrip reacted with your plastic wrap as it does with the products it is designed to strip. Maybe trying a different plastic wrap would make a difference. You could possibly use a high quality plastic wrap or something such as a plastic drop cloth depending on the size of your project and configuration.

• Mona Marie Davis

How do you get out black water circles outback if wood table tops?

• Mary

I'm not sure if this is of any help, but for white circles I use a tiny bit of brasso on a bit of cotton wool. Brasso is a product in the Uk and Ireland for polishing brass. When I had black circles from a vase of flowers left on wood, I ended up stripping the wood, sanded it down and revarnishing it. I hope you find an easier alternative to my solution.

• Stephanie Coon/Rehab to Fab

You strip the varnish and bleach the wood.

• MDB

When I see black I see damage down to the wood past the finish. I either strip or sand down until the black is gone. Unfortunately this then requires re-staining and a new final finish.

• Linda

The table turned out beautiful. You done a beautiful job on it. Thanks for sharing.

• Dawn

Hydrogen peroxide will take out black stains

• Meenal Vardan

Do you think this trick would work with cabinets of they were revanished?

• Jody Price

Did you strip the legs?

• Mgo7301229

What is Citristrip? I am not familiar with this product - where would I find it? Is it available in Canada?

• Rab14584794

I have a hibachi table with back paint on it-will your trick work to get down to the wood??

• Susan Sinclair

In your article you say to use sand paper with your your sander. Is this an electric sander or an battery operated one? If it is I don't own one so what would I be comparable to it? Thank you

• Sasha Star Griner

Did your plastic wrap melt?? I did this and it started to immediately melt/disintegrate.

• User

What is "Citristrip"? In my country I could not find it.. Is it a trade mark? Thank you..

• Dennie

I'm glad to know this. I will be using it. My question is....did you do your floor? Your floor is so beautiful. Perfect mix, perfect shine...just perfect.

• DORLIS

RE: the wood conditioner, wouldn't that dry out the wood? Shouldn't you first use something to restore moisture/oil to the wood? I have an old china cabinet that sits near a window and before we got shades, it was dried out wherever the sun touched it.

• Stephanie Coon/Rehab to Fab

Old varnish on antique furniture is normally a shellac based varnish. Its sensative to heat & light. I sealed this table with a highly durable oil based top coat. It's heat and water resistant. It'll stay beautiful for decades to come.

• DORLIS

Thank you.

• 861650

Can you use Citristrip on a vertical surface?

• Rebecca

Yes, just don't forget the plastic wrap

• 861650

When using on a vertical surface, does it run down?

• Carol Jackson

Yes it does so use drop cloths or cover up what you don't want stripped. Stripped my kitchen cabinets and worked great.

• R_d16225685

Have never heard of Citristrip - what would be similar??

• Becky

You can order Citristrip online for several vendors. I'm not sure what would be similar, but the product is a natural stripper without all the fumes and caustic chemicals. It's safe to use indoors.

• Janet

How do you dispose of the cling wrap?

• Neva Dew

Garbage can. Quote from answer to the next question: "the product is a natural stripper without all the fumes and caustic chemicals. It's safe to use indoors."

• Jewellmartin

Even if it's going into the trash, I would put all of the plastic wrap and any plastic gloves I used in a gallon zip bag or in a grocery store plastic bag and twist it closed. If there were several days before the trash would go out, the outer bag would probably keep any fumes enclosed. More importantly, you would be saved from a big mess of old varnish if the trash can tipped or you stuck your hand in the can and got it on yourselves.
  • Terri G.

UGH!! Where were you with this great idea when I decided to strip 75+ years worth of paint from a two story staircase? It took me almost a year!!

• Sti15215764

where do you purchase the stripper?

• Dex19493961

I googled it and Home Depot carries it. It is a paint and varnish stripper.
  • Sti15215764

Will this work on paint or just varnish and shellac?

• Ray Green

So do you have to stain it after?
  • Marilyn Pickrell

What is citristrip? Where do you find it?
  • Paula Elliott

GREAT IDEA!! Have done lots of refinishing in my life...this is a really good tip
  • Francesca

I started stripping a wooden window frame with Citrisrip and the top few layers mainly came off in plasticy bits. However even after sanding I'm left with chunks that are not coming off. can I use your technique on a window frame? It's inside the house.
  • Dorothy Marousek

Did you also wrap the legs? Did you wrap everything at the same time?
    • Jewellmartin

I believe Stephanie Coon/Rehab to Fab said she was just doing the top. But if you wanted to do the legs, I'm sure you would brush Citristrip deep into the carving, wrap with plastic wrap all around, wait at least two days, really use the stiff-bristled brush, sun the piece for a couple of days (I would turn the table upside-down for the legs to sun), then sand by hand because of the carving, and then seal. If you used my list, it would take at least nine days to do a tabletop and legs. Best wishes!
  • Tpa13872848

Where can you purchase Citristrip?
  • Ironhorse68450

Would an old plastic shower curtail work?...It is thicker than plastic wrap.
    • Frances P Johnson

The Saran Wrap, being thin, gets into the cracks and crevasses. The shower curtain would not. The author explains the reason behind it in the article. Enjoy your DIY .
  • Pat

what is citristrip?
  • Nancy

What do you do f there is veneer on the table?

• Smc2409141

What is this? 50/50 D-natured alcohol/H20 I get the H2O part but not sure what 50/50 D-natured alcohol is and where do you get it? Thanks I am trying to strip painted woodwork in the 1900's home I bought. I am struggling!
    • LaNell

I think she meant that she used a mixture of half of Denatured alcohol and half water. And you can buy the Denatured alcohol at places like Lowes, Home Depot or your local hardware store.
    • Tracy

I think she was trying to say : Use 50% D-natured alcohol and 50% water.
      Or rather take any measure of the D-natured alcohol the add the same amount of water to it, thus diluting the alcohol by 50% (one/half)
  • Yvonne

I'm not sure if the 1st question went thru
    What kind of hardwood is that beautiful floor under your refirbished table
  • Tins

Does this method work on chalk paint?
  • Stephanie Kent Hansen

If you were to stain your project would you do that before the shellac coat? I have never refinished anything. Thanks
  • Stephanie Kent Hansen

Also, what is the “highly durable oil-based top coat” and where does it fit into the process? Thanks
  • Collyn Welles

Just wondering if the Saran Wrap truck works on other brands of strippers specifically, KleanStrip?

• Cris

Would this work on layers of polyurethane?
  • Deanna Maidwell

Is there a secret to doing this with concrete? Right now I'm using Kleanstrip... It seems to dry out really quickly... I'm trying to take 100 years of paint layers off a porch. I had it painted last year. In some places, it looks like they removed all the paint, in others there are still at least 5 layers of paint with one of the colors straining three concrete a bit... My plan was to take it down to the concrete so I would only have to seal it from now on... That seems easier and then there's no peeling paint and it should look better... At this point I'm about to give up and buy outdoor carpet and just convert it up and repaint the steps over the existing stuff including what I've already stripped.

• Valerie Fanning

Since it is cement I would take a power washer, like an industrial one that you can rent. It takes some patience but if you get the tip right down within a foot of the cement it will peel just about anything off. If they have one available get the power washer that gets the water hot. I've used this trick several times when restripeing parking lots. One place had painted a random (I think they were going for boho) design all over a beautiful patio. They even painted the brick trim and planters. Oh it was just awful. Anyway I took the hotsie to it and it took all the paint off, even off the grout and the nooks and crannies of the brick. It took some time and patience but it all came off and bonus, no chemicals involved.

• Judy Lowrance

what is citristrip & where to buy

• Margarite

It's a paint stripper. You can fine it Wal-Mart or any home improvement store. Home depot has it.

• Terra Gazelle

So does Lowes..I love it. I re did a 1880's Chiffonier that had been shellacked, painted several times , then put in a storage building for years...the shallac looked like alligator hide, the veneer was stripping off..and much of the piece was water damaged., but it had the original beveled mirrors on the door and the hat box..as well as the hanger rod still worked.

I covered it with citristrip and started there..it ended up looking great. It took some work but it was worth it. Citristrip made it so much easier.

• Rita

It is a stripper for paint and varnish. Lowes and Home Depot both carry it.

• Christina Lynn Feldhake

My local Walmart carries Citristrip. It is AMAZING!! No worries using it in your garage or basement because it has a very pleasant orange scent! And I've never used anything that removed varnish so quickly and so easily!!

• Dsm34010837

Citristrip what..there are many types online?

• Gina

Hello,

Question I did this to a table and it did remove layers. However, it was wet and I am not sure if I did it wrong. I did it just as explained and will do it on other pieces. So thanks for the tip. Just need to know how to have it more dry instead of wet. I did need to stop to clean my scraper because it clung to it. I will do this again on table tops and prey much anything that does not have any side detail like the trellis on one I'm working on now. Hey live and learn its what it's all about. I would recommend this to anyone. Thank you. I hope to hear from you

• Kat Rogers

I know it's been a while since you posted your question, but since I didn't see any answers I thought I'd give it a shot.

She said she put Plastic Wrap over the whole table, making certain there were no air bubbles and that The Product was in all cracks & crevices. Then Leave It Covered For 24 HOURS. Now when you begin to scrape off the old paint it will be dried to a powder~like consistency.

Re~read her post to get further information as to what she does after.

I trust I was helpful.

Good Luck!

• Mary Anne Warczak-Pokorny

I believe she said she gave it a couple days. I don’t know if that’s the secret or not, but when she came backs few days later it was powdery.

• Gina

I did try it. Works great but mine was not dry it was wet and goopy. It dud remove layers with one pass of my plastic scraper. Wonder how to have it like her dry but not sure how. Hope someone answers my question above.
    • Pixybrat

Perhaps TOO much Citristrip is being used? Maybe try a little less so that it can dry out...(?).

• Gaye Davis

Great job! It looks wonderful. Were the Citristrip and the Saran wrap enough to take care of the scratches? We have a similar issue. Beautiful table with graceful, interesting curves, but the top was completely destroyed by naughty cats.

• Sally H.

Gorgeous piece. So glad you didn’t paint. The beautiful carving and tones of the wood are delights to the eye. I have a small table I may try your plastic wrap trick to strip. Thanks for the idea!

• L.M.

I always loved the style of table and was sad when it "went out of fashion". Thank you for honoring the beauty of its designs and helping us to bring this an other table back to their place in home design & decor.