Pumpkin Makeover

Over the years, I've collected a hodgepodge of plastic and Styrofoam pumpkins and gourds, mostly from thrift stores and garage sales. This year, I decided to give them a makeover.
Here's the basket of pumpkins and gourds that I started with. None of them really matched, and most of them looked very fake.
I basecoated the pieces with gesso to start. (I used gesso just because I had a bottle of it on hand from a previous project; white craft paint or primer would have worked just as well.)
I liked the white, but I wanted some variation amongst the pieces, so I decoupaged newspaper strips on a few.
The newspaper was a little hard to work with on the curves of the pumpkins, so I decided to scan a newspaper page into my computer and print it out on tissue paper. (I taped the tissue paper to a piece of regular 8 1/2" by 11" paper to get it to feed through my printer.) It was much easier to decoupage the tissue paper on than it was to work with the real newspaper.
Then I remembered I had some tissue paper with faux handwriting on it, so I dug that out of my stash. I cut that into strips and decoupaged it onto some of the pumpkins and gourds.
I dripped and splattered some beige and black paint on some of the remaining white pumpkins. I also wound jute twine around the stems.
Here's the "before" of an old gold crackle pumpkin...
... and here's the "after."
Here's the "before" of a very-fake-looking orange pumpkin....
... and here's the "after."
I love the updated look.

15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
Lisa Cestkowski

• Trixie63

I love this. Since we've an empty nest I don't decorate like before but I could just get all my old ones out, use your treatment and tuck them amongst the ironstone on the mantle. Thank you!

• Hannah V

Pretty ideas!