Flannel Scraps Reusable Hand Warmers

After making a different project using thrifted flannel shirts, I had all these scraps leftover! So I made these adorable reusable handwarmers.
Find the full DIY tutorial HERE!
Each of these shirts (and more) had been used in a different project, but I still had the sleeves and fronts of each one leftover. I hated the idea of throwing away the scraps, so I decided to repurpose them in a fun, functional way.
Using what was left, I cut out dozens of 4" and 5" squares from each one.
I pinned two squares together, sewed all the way around 3 of the sides, and then approximately 1" in on either end of the 4th side, leaving a small opening and turned it inside-out.
Then, I filled my "flannel packet" about 3/4 of the way full with plain old white rice. I sewed the opening closed and had a wonderful reusable handwarmer- which I obviously did again and again and again!
Head over to my blog to find out what to do next! These make a great hostess gift, favors for autumn-themed parties, or even stocking stuffers closer to the holidays! I even like how they look in my wooden bowl as cozy autumn decor.

15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
Sadie Seasongoods

• Janice
    Janice

Mine have always gotten little bugs eating the rice. What do you recommend?

• Lisa Sinclair
      Lisa Sinclair

If you keep them in the freezer, it'll eliminate any bugs. I've made something like this, with corn. And keeping them in the freezer keeps the corn from molding, and / or sprouting. Plus if you have them in the freezer, they make great boo boo packs.

• Diana
    Diana

Doesn't the rice get bugs in it over a period of time?

• Laura B
      Laura B

You can add a pinch of food grade diatomaceous earth to keep any bugs away.

• Anne , Arlington TX
    Anne , Arlington TX

how do you warm them?

• Theresa Holz
    Theresa Holz

leftover flannel sleeves - make lumberjack gnomes!!!

• Vanessa
    Vanessa

I have made these but larger for your back, I used feed corn. Its very inexpensive and works great! I have also popped them in the freezer for hot days doing yard work or for my back as Well!! More portable than a heating pad!