Jennifer Pearish-Haas
Jennifer Pearish-Haas
  • Plymouth, IN

Antique Vanity

Another piece I found at auction that no one wanted but I knew it was worth saving and giving life back to it.
antique vanity, painted furniture
Here is the before. From the picture it doesn't look that bad but trust me it was. The drawers wouldn't open and would stick. The veneer was pealing off in numerous areas.
antique vanity, painted furniture
In process. Some of the veneer came right off with no issues and other parts were coming off but wanted to stay. This piece was a lot of work and hard labor.
antique vanity, painted furniture
This picture shows some of the distressing.
antique vanity, painted furniture
Finished in all her glory.
antique vanity, painted furniture
I distressed this piece heavier than I normally do but I felt it needed that to keep with the look of its age.
antique vanity, painted furniture
I painted this with 2 different shades of green. I recovered the seat and distressed it was well. This is truly a piece that I'm sorry I got rid of. I loved it!

• Michele

What did you do to fix the peeling or missing veneer?

• Jennifer Pearish-Haas

I took all of it off and then sanded down the good wood so it was smooth. Since I sell the majority of my pieces I don't like to take any chances that it won't stay put if I glue it down. Most of the time it's cracked too.

• Jeri Walker

Do you mind sharing your formula for making your own chalk paint with Valspar paint??

• Jeri Walker

what is your formula for making your own chalk paint? and can you use semi gloss water base paint?

• Janet Barr

Great idea, but peeling - not pealing. Please hire a proofreader!

• Liliana Wells

There are several recipes online and Hometalk for chalk paint. Experiment until you find what works for you..