Chalkboard Subway Tile Backsplash for less than $20

$20

We are slowly working on the kitchen and new countertops are on the list along with a back splash. Those are another year or two out though so in the meantime, after painting our cabinets, I created a fake subway tile back splash using chalkboard paint and a chalk marker.
From further back even it still looks amazing and like real tile.
An easy and cheap alternative to a boring painted back splash area. We aren't ready to tile our back splash yet but I wanted something fun to look at and decided to make my own fake tile.
Using chalkboard paint and chalk marker, we were able to draw straight horizontal lines using a level. We spaced the vertical lines about every five inches, which is about the length of a subway tile.
With less than $20 invested in my new backsplash, I love how it turned out! It definitely kicked the kitchen up a notch and makes me happy every time I walk in here.
Painting the cabinets this past summer was a lot of work that definitely paid off. This quick change to the kitchen backsplash area makes it feel more finished.

The Blooming Hydrangea

• Faye youngstrom

Could other colors work and look as real?

• Kathy Chojnacki

I’d like to, but I live on a mobile home that has some kind of vinyl wallboard in the kitchen. The house is 20 years old but I’m the only owner. The heat from the oven has wrinkled the vinyl badly. I’m on a very limited budget, and have even less talent than money. Does anyone have a suggestion for me? I considered buying self-stick vinyl floor tiles. Would this work with the heat of the oven? Thanks so much!

• Cookie falcone

I think you would have to remove back board first and put up a stable back board to adhere the tile to

• Trish

Did you protect the blackboard paint with a matte sealer?