How to Insulate Drafty Windows (Permanently)!

$7

If you have tried weather stripping and all of the other quick fixes to cut back on the cold air getting through and around your windows, maybe what you need is to insulate the window. Many homes built after 1980 do not have insulation around the windows (and some older homes as well). Why? Well, we now have a lot of spec homes out there (those multiple construction homes that were built with no one particular in mind). And many of us own one of these. But even other types of homes can have this problem. My own home was a custom built, designed by yours truly. :-) And I still had this problem in one of my bedrooms. (you have to watch some subcontractors with a hawk's eye).
All finished and snug as a bug!
At any rate, this room was having trouble getting warm. A lot of drafty air was coming in around this window. But, these were high end windows and brand new. No problems with the weather stripping or anything. So, I had a sneaky suspicion that the insulation crew failed to properly insulate this window.
I checked beneath the window trim and sure enough, no insulation around this window.
After removing the bottom trim, I could actually feel the draft even more. I saw 1 tiny pin prick hole of light shining through. So, I am sure that it was the biggest culprit. But now, problem solved.
The last step is to replace everything. It took me just about 1 hour total to complete, but was relatively easy. You can check out the entire step by step, on my blog to get a breakdown of all the steps and details.

• Hammer
  • Utility knife
  • Pry bar

Rachel Lynn | queenbeeofhoneydos.com

• Pam

Looks fairly easy, but what if you do not have any trim around the windows? Do you have a fix for those kind?

• Pam

@Rachel Lynn @queenbeeofhoneydos.com Fantastic. Thank you so much. This will help with our issue I'm sure. Appreciate the advice.

• Marion

My windows aren't trimmed out. How do I fix them?

• Miss E

I know this is about windows. But I'm a damsel in distress. There is plenty of light and cold air coming through my front and back doors. As a First time home owner that's new to this but really trying what do I do?

• Drd4223999

Thanks! I'm buying an older home and I'm pretty sure they didn't insulate (1940-50s). Am concerned about damaging the trim when removing it though. Maybe I can try on a less visible window to see how it goes.

• Jason

A word of caution...spray foam can void warranties of windows