Striking Wall Decor Using Old Wood Siding And A Ladder

$0

I hated the big blank space over my stairway. I have the most perfect spot to relax and sip my coffee each morning upstairs on my landing. Out the window my view is a gorgeous windmill, a stone root cellar, and old barns. I can see down the stairs into our beautiful foyer. But that empty wall over the stairs... It was a big wall staring blankly at me each morning! I needed some wall candy!
striking wall decor using old wood siding and a ladder, diy, repurposing upcycling, wall decor
The only thing that seemed to go there was an old ladder. But I have quite a few ladders in my home already as decor... so I would need to do something different to make a "new" statement, not "same ole".
Rewind to our summer sunroom project where we ripped all sorts of layers of this and that off of walls and floors. I fell in love with those long pieces of chippy old wood siding. Everything got pitched outside in a big pile....
which I then went through and scavenged what I could. I managed to save quite a few long pieces of the original old wood siding. After pounding out the old nails and scrubbing 100+ years of dirt off, it had the perfect chippy patina! I cut one of the long pieces into an arrow shape and then stenciled my quote "Choose You This Day" using black paint onto the sign. Then I drilled two holes in the top so that I could hang the sign from my ladder with thick jute rope.
Next was convincing Hubby he had to hang this for me.
Good thing he is tall and lanky - he could just barely reach without needing any extra assistance!
Take a closer look at my photo display going up the stairway here: http://www.kammyskorner.com/2015/06/framed-photos-on-reclaimed-wood-for.html
If you're curious as to my little "library on the landing" at the top of the stairs where I sit and drink my coffee each morning, get the details and pictures here: http://www.kammyskorner.com/2016/02/free-chairs-for-library-on-landing.html
I love my rustic with a quote that keeps me one track!
See more of our old historic home here: www.kammyskorner.com
Kammy's Korner

• Slm379141

Did you do the lettering free hand?

• Slm379141

OK I should read closer!! Where do you get the stencils? Thanks

• Kammy's Korner

Walmart has them, I think most of the big craft stores probably do? They come in a thick pack. Two of each letter, number, and a few shapes and symbols.

• Karen

Where did u get your stencil?

• Kammy's Korner

Walmart has them, I think most of the big craft stores probably do to? They come in a thick pack. Two of each letter, number, and a few shapes and symbols.

• Joanie

An inspiring verse on the ladder..........thank you.....I'm gonna copy it. Joanie

• Srbaber

I so want to do this. My question is how where able to line line the stencils so they weren't far apart. I actually have the stencils I believe you used. I've not been able to use as of yet because the letters are spaces cars apart when lining them up. I've searched the net without any luck on how to align single letter stencils for sign making.

Hats off to your hubby by the way...he over came a monster of a challenge with hanging your beautiful ladder and sign. 😊😊