How to Root Roses, Lilacs and Other Semi Hardwood Cuttings

67K Views
Last week I did a post on rooting softwood cuttings. This week it is on to Semi hardwood. Roses, lilacs and such are considered semi hardwood. It is fun to make more roses, or lilacs with this method to share or to just have more for yourself. Make sure to only propagate non-patented old types or you are infringing on the patent holders rights.
  • how to root roses lilacs and other semi hardwood cuttings, gardening, A fish tank makes a great cover to do many cuttings
A fish tank makes a great cover to do many cuttings
  • how to root roses lilacs and other semi hardwood cuttings, gardening, A very loose mix for the soil and a box with no or well draining bottom
A very loose mix for the soil and a box with no or well draining bottom.
  • how to root roses lilacs and other semi hardwood cuttings, gardening, Your cuttings a good 6 inches is a nice size try to have 2 leaf nodes below the soil in the box
Your cuttings, a good 6 inches is a nice size, try to have 2 leaf nodes below the soil in the box.
  • how to root roses lilacs and other semi hardwood cuttings, gardening, Cloning gel there are also powders out there also known as rooting mediums I have read that they contain anti fungals to prevent rot but I am not sure
Cloning gel, there are also powders out there, also known as rooting mediums. I have read that they contain anti fungals to prevent rot but I am not sure.
  • how to root roses lilacs and other semi hardwood cuttings, gardening, Place fish tank over cutting that have been firmed into place make sure no leaves or stems touch the glass make sure there is a space on bottom for air circulation
Place fish tank over cutting that have been firmed into place, make sure no leaves or stems touch the glass, make sure there is a space on bottom for air circulation.
  • how to root roses lilacs and other semi hardwood cuttings, gardening, Voila A new rose to enjoy Patience is the name of the game rooting can take a few weeks or several months depending on conditions This rose is fast to bloom so blooms by the first year others may differ
Voila! A new rose to enjoy. Patience is the name of the game, rooting can take a few weeks or several months depending on conditions. This rose is fast to bloom so blooms by the first year, others may differ.

Suggested materials for this project:

Flower Patch Farmhouse

Want more details about this project and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!

• Pattay1964
      Pattay1964 Four Oaks, NC

Hi, I'm from NC we have wisteria here instead of lilacs, can you tell me how yo do this witha piece of wisteria? I really love it and have the perfect place for it to grow. Thank you in advance. Patty

• Evelyn McMullen
        Evelyn McMullen Montgomery, AL

same question: wisteria cutting?