Gilded Coffee Filter Valentines Heart

Valentines has never been a holiday that I've gone all out for when decorating, but I do love to decorate my mantel for each holiday. I'm working on a hanging wreath of sorts for each occasion, and I needed something easy and light weight for Valentines Day
gilded coffee filter valentines heart, crafts, seasonal holiday decor, valentines day ideas, wall decor
Since I wanted to hang this decoration over an already very heavy mirror over my mantel, I wanted it to be light weight. I started with a cardboard cutout of a heart, and coffee filters. LOTS of coffee filters! I used almost 800!
I dipped some of my filters in a watered down red paint (1/4 cup water and a few drops of paint) and other filters I painted with Metallic Lustre gold wax. (aff) I love the gilded gold paper effect! I left the rest of the filters white.
If you hold the center of the coffee filter and twist, you create a flower. Repeat this step a few hundred times.
Use a small dot of hot glue to attach your coffee filter flowers to the cardboard heart. If you don't want to use 800 coffee filters, you can space the flowers out a little bit just make sure you're covering the cardboard.
I packed my filter flowers in very tightly, squishing as many as I could onto the form.
Isn't the gold pretty?
I glued a ribbon loop to the back of the cardboard, and painted the cardboard a light pink, since it would be hanging from a mirror. If you wanted to hang it on a wall or inside door painting the cardboard isn't necessary.
You can check out more fun Valentine's projects and the full tutorial for this project through the blog link below.
Kelli @CraftShackChronicles

• Sarah Cari-Roberts

Do you think cereal boxes would hold up to all those filters?

• Kelli @CraftShackChronicles

@Sarah Cari-Roberts on a smaller scale I think it would be fine. I'm not sure how it would do on a large scale, say if you taped more than one cereal box together to make it bigger.

• Linda

I'm curious as to why you used the Metallic Lustre Gold Wax instead of another type of acrylic paint.....Does it dry faster? Thank You so very much for responding

• @Linda The metallic lustre is just a personal favorite. I love the way it shines, it does indeed dry fast, and I love how it looks. I also love that I can water it down a little for easy application but it doesn't lose any of it's gold look because of the water. A metallic paint would work as well, but if you water it down enough to brush it on the filters it might not look as concentrated or shimmery depending on the paint you used.

• ...So pretty and I think you could also do " all white' or whatever colors you prefer ? I was curious as to how long this took you...in total time ...:)

• @Shelby @ The Weathered Barn Studio Absolutely any color would work great, and any shape for that matter, it wouldn't need to be valentine colors and a heart. It took about 3 hours total.