Anthropologie Inspired Lotus Mirror

$15

I came across a mirror that I just LOVED at Anthropologie, but with a $400 price tag it was way out of my budget. So, I decided to try to make one myself.
*Also, if you love this post... I have quite a few more just like it on my blog. Check out the "Project Gallery" page to see more!
First, I gathered my supplies. I used:
1/8 inch Birch plywood (found at Lowes for $12)
Wood Glue
Clamps
Round Mirror (found at Joanns for $1.49)
The first step for the mirror was to get the edging that would go directly on the mirror. To do this, we used string and a screw to draw a circle on the birch plywood. We did one slightly smaller than the mirror and then another one about 1.5 inches out slightly larger than the mirror.
Once the circles were cut I used the jigsaw, with the orbital setting off, to cut the inside of the circle out first. I did the inside first, so that you still have plywood supporting the frame of ring. Next, I cut the outer ring out.
After the "frame" for the mirror was done, we made some paper templates of the petals.
When we got the sizing of the petals finished, we taped the petals together at the points (to make a square) and this gave us the template for the first set.
(eeks, ignore the after workout pic)
We traced the petals and then used the jigsaw to cut them out. By cutting them out as one piece, we saved ourselves a few cuts as well as made our frame of the mirror more sturdy.
Next, we made the second round of petals using new flatter paper templates. This time around, we cut the petals individually.
We used wood glue and clamps to get the first and second petals together.
We attached a hanger on the back and called it a day. To look more like the Anthro version, we would have needed to stain the wood, but I really adored it natural looking. So, we kept it natural and I just love it.
I love how it turned out!

24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
Ashley@Biggerthanthethreeofus

• Joni Kinsey
    Joni Kinsey

Great job!! Why did you use a second demplate?

• Daf32531740
      Daf32531740

This is Beautiful. I am glad you didn't paint it or stain it..Great Job.

• Kar4153311
    Kar4153311

Where do we find the templates? Could this be enlarged to frame larger mirror?

• Larry shriver
      Larry shriver

If you wanted to make one of these for a rather large mirror or some other object which required larger pieces of paper for the templates, ask your butcher for some meat wrapping paper. Usually, they are willing to give you 3 or 4 foot ( or whatever you need ) at no charge.