Valentine Message Painted Plates

Often Valentine's Day gifts come with a message: Be Mine, I Heart U, You and Me Forever and too many others to name. I chose to put some of my favorite love inspired song lyrics on a few plates and they happen to have special meaning, especially given recent events.
Song lyrics often capture and put into words feelings or messages are straight to the point, full of wisdom, or something we've been trying to say, but couldn't put into words ourselves.
As part of the Junk Revision group challenge for February, we needed to create something from salvage with a Valentine twist.
I found a vintage plate and a plastic charger at the thrift store.
I painted the plates a pink and gray combo, printed out snippets of a few of my favorite song lyrics, and then used a simple pencil transfer method to get the wording onto the plates.
Next, I traced the lettering with a black paint pen and finally I sanded down the letters to get an aged look.
Final step was a coat of wax.
Although I might not go with the color pink if I do these again, I think the idea of adding lyric inspired messages to plates would make a fun craft project and sweet memento to hang on the wall.
You can see the full tutorial and a bunch of other Valentine projects in the blog post link below.

Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
Amy Ellis @ StowandTellU

• Marie Emily Parra
    Marie Emily Parra

Why did u paint the beautiful red plate ???

• Nancy
      Nancy

There wouldn't be any reason you couldn't stencil right onto the red plate, but you wouldn't have a chalk finish effect on the plate. You would have a shiny red plate with stenciled words on it.

• Yvonne
    Yvonne

How did you do the pencil transfer of the words? Old carbon paper?

• Amy Ellis @ StowandTellU
      Amy Ellis @ StowandTellU

@Yvonne, Carbon paper on the back is one way you can do it. I rubbed a pencil on the back of the paper. You can see full instructions on the blog. Click on the "To See More Link: at the bottom of this post. Thanks, I hope that helps ~ Amy

• Mary Theresa Rankin
    Mary Theresa Rankin

Hi, not sure what plastic charger is for. Sorry if I missed it, but could you explain. Thanks Mary

• Chris Ismaeil
      Chris Ismaeil

if the Q is what is it generally used for, on a fancy place setting, it goes under the regular plates: purely decorative! (in the illustration, would go where the dinner plate is, or under it)

• Paula Guy
    Paula Guy

Love the idea of the song lyrics! The Eagles are my favorite...