How to Extend the Life of Your Valentine's Day Flowers #ValentinesDay

Since Valentine’s Day is coming up in less than a week, I wanted to share with you some awesome, scientifically proven, tips to keep your pretty flowers as long as possible! My husband and I don’t do big gifts for this holiday at all, but he has always brought home pretty bouquets with a beautiful vase!
Fresh cut flowers are always so special and I love to keep them as long as I can.
The fact of the
how to extend the life of your valentine s day flowers valentinesday, flowers, gardening, how to, seasonal holiday decor, valentines day ideas
You may recall I posted some tips on keeping your flowers fresh for awhile back in the spring, but that was geared toward cutting them from your own garden. This is perfect for store bought blooms!
Tip One. Always cut a good inch off the bottom at an angle. This will freshen up the bottom and allow the flower to soak up more water.
Tip Two. Trim off excess leaves. Especially with roses, all the extra leaves around the base take up space, and the cut will soak up enough water to feed those leaves too. That is too much for it to feed in a vase, so it helps to remove anything that isn’t necessary. The flower won’t have to work as hard!
Tip Three. Always prepare the vase with the little packets of food it comes with. The science behind this stuff is it will reduce bacteria growth, which is what usually makes the fresh cuts rot or die fast. Use a little of the packet and fill the vase with fresh water, but don’t fill the vase up too full. You just need enough to cover all the tips.
Tip Four. Every night, pop your vase in the fridge. This will stop any oxidation and bacteria growth for the time being. This is actually the best away to keep the flowers looking perky too!
Stop by my blog for the rest of these great chemist tips to extend the life your fresh flowers!
Happy Valentine's Day!
Alexis @ Chemistry Cachet

• Diggin The Desert

Great idea to put flowers in the fridge overnight; a florist friend of mine told me it's a good idea to change the water in the vase (and add another packet of flower-fresh) every few days. Happy Valentine's Day!

how to extend the life of your valentine s day flowers valentinesday, flowers, gardening, how to, seasonal holiday decor, valentines day ideas, these lilies lasted quite a while using your tips except for putting them in the fridge I ll bet they would have lasted a lot longer if I had followed all the tips Next time