How I Built A Built-in Bench

When we moved into our home our eat in kitchen was really boring. We had a small open space available for a small table and a couple chairs but it wasn't very functional at all! So, I decided to do something about it.
When we moved into our home our breakfast nook or eat-in kitchen looked like this.
When we first toured the home it was staged with a table and chairs but it was so awkwardly placed and it seemed that enough seating could not be placed around the table.
As you can see the open space sits between a wall and the end of my kitchen cabinets. I decided that I needed a built-in bench! I'll describe my process as best as possible for you, however when I did the project I didn't make plans or keep measurements. I just kind of "wing it" when it comes to building things and when it comes to "built-ins" you have to do what's right for your space.
I first framed up my bench with 2x4's. I left a space in the bottom 2x4's so that my duct work could be extended to the front of the bench.
Next I cut MDF to size for the front of the bench and cut a hole where my ducting needed to end.
I then cut MDF for the top of the bench and attached trim.
I painted the bench white and the bench stayed like this for quite some time, but I later decided to put a little 1.5' extension on my bench and it created a little corner.
I also used dark stained wood planks to cover the seat of the bench and it really warmed up the look of the space.
I laid the wood planks in a herringbone pattern at the corner to create some interest.
I'm loving the way my little bench turned out, I hope you do too! For more on this story and to see other projects, hop over to www.lovethetompkins.com!

Love The Tompkins

• Lynne Carole

GREAT THINKING!

• Cory

Well done! Would love to know where to find the pillows... Especially the turquoise with pink dahlias. Please post shopping sources. Thanks.

• Barb

Cory

I had that same pattern of fabric pillows that I ordered on line two years ago, I kept putting in the pattern in the search bar until I found it.

• Carolina

This is so practical. It looks great and you can now fit more people. I love the blinds, did you make those or did you buy them?

• E95656

So cute! You are very talented.

• Karen

Looks like if you used a rectangular table, you could seat about 8 or 9 people. Great use of space.