Love The Tompkins
Love The Tompkins
  • Clarksville, TN

How I Built A Built-in Bench

When we moved into our home our eat in kitchen was really boring. We had a small open space available for a small table and a couple chairs but it wasn't very functional at all! So, I decided to do something about it.
how i built a built in bench, dining room ideas, painted furniture, woodworking projects
When we moved into our home our breakfast nook or eat-in kitchen looked like this.
When we first toured the home it was staged with a table and chairs but it was so awkwardly placed and it seemed that enough seating could not be placed around the table.
As you can see the open space sits between a wall and the end of my kitchen cabinets. I decided that I needed a built-in bench! I'll describe my process as best as possible for you, however when I did the project I didn't make plans or keep measurements. I just kind of "wing it" when it comes to building things and when it comes to "built-ins" you have to do what's right for your space.
I first framed up my bench with 2x4's. I left a space in the bottom 2x4's so that my duct work could be extended to the front of the bench.
Next I cut MDF to size for the front of the bench and cut a hole where my ducting needed to end.
I then cut MDF for the top of the bench and attached trim.
I painted the bench white and the bench stayed like this for quite some time, but I later decided to put a little 1.5' extension on my bench and it created a little corner.
I also used dark stained wood planks to cover the seat of the bench and it really warmed up the look of the space.
I laid the wood planks in a herringbone pattern at the corner to create some interest.
I'm loving the way my little bench turned out, I hope you do too! For more on this story and to see other projects, hop over to www.lovethetompkins.com!

Love The Tompkins

• Arlys Koushakjian

Storage, Storage, Storage what on earth did you not make it able to open for storage. we today look for more storage. rethink it and you still can do those changes. Otherwise it looks beautiful not taking away your hard work. but honestly e all are looking for more space.

• Cheryl

You did a fantastic job.. It looks so cozy, I love it!

• Lynne Carole

GREAT THINKING!

• Institches

Would have loved to see the seat hinged for storage beneath....

i would love more storage‼️ I love the idea and have been considering this for quite some time in my dining area......seems the area would be easier to keep clean❣️

• Annette

Agree with suggestions to have storage inside, whether via hinged seats or doors/drawers from the front underneath (for tablecloths, candles, seasonal items, etc).

If you have more than 3-4 people who need seating, perhaps consider changing out the round table for a rectangular or oblong one so that more folks could sit on the bench and still have good access to the table.