Anna M
Anna M
  • Cottonwood, CA

Homemade laundry detergent and why it works so well

$15

Homemade laundry detergent is all the rage these days but do you ever wonder if it really works? I love the idea of homemade laundry detergent, that costs a fraction of the price but I want to know that my clothes are actually getting clean, before I jump on the bandwagon!
The 4 basic ingredients of homemade laundry detergent are Borax, Arm & Hammer Washing Soda, Arm & Hammer Baking Soda and Fels-Naptha bar soap. I also added Oxi Clean and doTERRA Wild Orange essential oil, to give it a little extra cleaning power, and a delicious citrus scent. Check out my full post to see how/why each of the ingredients work to create the best, most effective laundry detergent. Click here: http://askannamoseley.com/2013/05/the-best-homemade-laundry-detergent-and-why/
Edit: This detergent can be used in a front loading washing machine, there are instructions if you click on the link above. It is also safe to use if you have a septic system, I researched all of the individual ingredients and they are all safe to use. My sister has been using this for years on her septic system and she has never had any problems.
Borax is a natural laundry booster because of it's unique ability to clean, by converting some water molecules to hydrogen peroxide.
The high alkalinity of washing soda helps it act as a solvent to remove a range of stains.  Also adding Fels-Naphta helps eliminate residual stains. It works as a stain remover, for tough stains
The high alkalinity of washing soda helps it act as a solvent to remove a range of stains. Also adding Fels-Naphta helps eliminate residual stains. It works as a stain remover, for tough stains
Download this free printable to make your laundry detergent into cute gifts or just look cute in your laundry room!

Anna M

• Amy

Hydrogen peroxide acts like a bleach, what does this do to you clothing. I wear a lot of poly blend clothes for dress, I'm wondering how they would try out.

• Tammy

How much of each one do you add. I didn't see a recipe anywhere I would like to try this .