Vickie G
Vickie G
  • Greeley, CO

Garden Globes

After seeing so many posts on diy garden globes, I just had to try it. I started searching for old bowling balls but all I found were priced too high. Then little by little, it all came together and and I now have six garden globes that I just love. Hope you do too.
garden globes, crafts, mason jars, I found these lighting globes at the Goodwill for half off
I found these lighting globes at the Goodwill for half off.
garden globes, crafts, mason jars, I started applying glass flat sided marbles Dollar Tree with this adhesive but they started sliding and I got impatient so I went to hot glue Worked great and no slipping
I started applying glass flat sided marbles(Dollar Tree) with this adhesive but they started sliding and I got impatient, so I went to hot glue. Worked great and no slipping.
garden globes, crafts, mason jars, Stones from Dollar Tree and a few engraved stones left over from my daughter s wedding
Stones from Dollar Tree and a few engraved stones left over from my daughter's wedding.
garden globes, crafts, mason jars, Fast forward six different globes
Fast forward, six different globes.
garden globes, crafts, mason jars, After a few weeks of researching and shopping for the cheapest and best choice of grout I found a bag for 2 at the Habitat Restore Messy job for indoors but snow outside made me do it in a large tub on my kitchen table
After a few weeks of researching and shopping for the cheapest and best choice of grout, I found a bag for $2 at the Habitat Restore. Messy job for indoors but snow outside made me do it in a large tub on my kitchen table.
garden globes, crafts, mason jars, This is the adhesive I used always on hand great stuff to put a base on my globes since they are open on the bottom I has silicone so it will be water tight I wanted to make them as outdoor friendly as possible
This is the adhesive I used (always on hand, great stuff) to put a base on my globes since they are open on the bottom.I has silicone so it will be water tight. I wanted to make them as outdoor friendly as possible.
garden globes, crafts, mason jars, Again being the cheap skate I am I found lg mason jar lids at the Habitat Restore They fit over the opening perfectly I used plenty of adhesive around the ring and inside the ring sealing it completely
Again, being the cheap-skate I am, I found lg. mason jar lids at the Habitat Restore. They fit over the opening perfectly. I used plenty of adhesive around the ring and inside the ring sealing it completely.
garden globes, crafts, mason jars, Some only had the ring so I used some bottom pieces from old Tupperware parfait glasses
Some only had the ring so I used some bottom pieces from old Tupperware parfait glasses.
garden globes, crafts, mason jars, After letting the bases dry over night resting on plastic bowls in the background time for a paint job To protect the globes I cut circles in the bottom of grocery bags and taped them tight around the globes
After letting the bases dry over night(resting on plastic bowls,in the background), time for a paint job. To protect the globes, I cut circles in the bottom of grocery bags and taped them tight around the globes.
garden globes, crafts, mason jars, I had just enough left over paint from other projects to do the bases
I had just enough left over paint from other projects to do the bases.
garden globes, crafts, mason jars, It was a bit colder outside than the paint recommends but it dried fast
It was a bit colder outside than the paint recommends, but it dried fast.
garden globes, crafts, mason jars, Finished drying inside
Finished drying inside.
garden globes, crafts, mason jars, Now they sit upright and are water tight and weather protected I think they are so cute
Now they sit upright and are water tight and weather protected. I think they are so cute.
garden globes, crafts, mason jars, After about 2 1 2 weeks and countless inches of snow I can finally get outside to seal the grout I used Thompsons water seal had cedar colored on hand
After about 2 1/2 weeks and countless inches of snow, I can finally get outside to seal the grout. I used Thompsons water seal (had cedar colored on hand).
garden globes, crafts, mason jars, I poured some in a plastic container and used a cheat chip brush to slather it on Make sure you cover your table this is messy
I poured some in a plastic container and used a cheat chip brush to slather it on. Make sure you cover your table, this is messy.
SEE 5 MORE PHOTOS...

• Cleo Douglass

I tried to pin the step by step instructions for garden globes but had to pin each picture one at a time. Suggestions

• Lea Grossman

@Cleo Douglass when you pin each picture, it saves a link to the page with all the instructions, so no need to pin each photo.

• Cra12830736

I collect seashells and I'm always looking for things to create from them. I particularly love coquina shells because of their beautiful colors and patterns. A pair opened up but still connected at the hinge make perfect angel wings! I picked up a glass globe with a raised wavy edge at Joann's and cleaned it thoroughly, then sprayed with picture adhesive on theiutside. I sprinkled beach sant on the outside and then when totally dry, glue coquinas and tiny scallop shells all over. After again giving it time to dry thoroughly, I took it outside and sprayed it with a clear lacquer all over. It helped to insure the shells were definitely going to stay put! I finished it up with a piece of 1/4" satin ribbon in the recessed space under the wavy top edge, and tied a bow at what was going to become the 'front' side. I did this over 15 years ago and all the shells are still intactbut for one teeny scallop, which I reattached with a spot of hot glue. i just have it sitting on a nightstand in the guest bedroom, but visitors have commented that it would be great for holding pencils or pens on a ladies' desk. It's amazing what seashells can be used for!

• Merri Peplinski

Just curious if you need adhere bases before painting them. Couldn't I paint them prior? I love this idea and can't wait to make them! Thank you very much for posting!

• SF Globe

Hi Vickie! I'm Jessica from SFG Media Group. We'd love to feature this project in an article as it's fantastic. Would you give us permission to use the photos to put together an article? The article will be shown on DIY websites of our company. We'd definitely credit you in them. Please let me know. Thanks! - Jessica

• Vickie G

Wow! I would be honored to have you share my project. I had a lot of fun making these globes and still have them in my yard. Please let me know where I can see your publication. Thank you so much.

• Vickie G

• Marty R.

being a gardening ignoramus, could you post a foto or two of what you did with them when they're finished? i don't know what garden globes are? (i live in an apartment in cairo, egypt, one of the most densely populated cities in the world, so i don't get to see many gardens.) thanks!

• Roz1834723

Good question, as beautiful as they are!

• See pics. They are just artfully displayed in her garden bed.

Could put in a flower pot garden, or on A Porch, deck, balcony.

• Carol Oakes

I don't see them displayed in her garden bed ... I must be blind as a bat !

• Shuganne

After the picture of Thompson's water seal, I see a link, all in blue capital letters, that say SEE 5 MORE PHOTOS... Click the link. The last 2 pictures show her succulent garden and a wintertime view -mostly bare ground and a small leafless bush, each of which shows a garden globe.

If you can't see that, you may have pop ups blocked. In that case, look for an infinitesimally small message, either just under the address bar or in a tiny box to the top right of your screen.

If you can't find either of those, check your internet browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc.) for settings that will block or allow pop ups.

For me personally, and for your learning abilities, please don't label yourself an ignoramous. At my school, we encourage our students to say, "I don't know that yet." Each of you is an expert on some, or many, subjects, about which I don't know anything yet, but I'm going to try to learn everything I can to help me in life.

😊😘

• Kim Kilgus Aunkst

What kind and brand of grout did you use?

• Dusty

one needs to use a sanded grout if the space between objects (tile/marbles/stuff!) is greater than ¼ inch. Any big box store (HomeDepot, Lowes, maybe Ace or TrueValue) has grout or resale outlet may may have...

• Jul29827547

How do you apply the grout? And not get it on the stones?

• Lea Beth T

You put the grout all over the project...then use a sponge to remove excess..let dry...then use clean sponge to remove excess off stones

• Astra Lilly Keena

So you need to use grout? Or could you skip this step? I'm really new at projects and dumb when it comes to this stuff. I really like how these turned out

• Diana Price Simmons

Couldn't you spray paint the bases before applying them to the globes?

• Vickie G

Absolutely. Mine was a bit of a second thought.

• Sandy

what size lid caps did you use?

• Joan Conn

Hi, so do you glue the stones on first, then put grout in between the stones?, or put grout on the globes, then place the stones in the grout?

• Novaline Tanksley

When you are tiling a wall or counter or making a stone walkway, the stones go on first and then the grout. I imagine it is the same process.

• Lisa Maxey

She says at the beginning. Read through all the directions before starting your project.

• Ros34087852

Can u use plastic round bowls from Mardi gra the ones that drinks in them i pick up a lot of different size cups down here in new Orleans I got a bunch of big beer bottles do u have any idea how to fix them up

• Elsbeth

Do you have to use grout.

• Janie Lipford Gentry

I've been waiting for inspiration to use my old bowling ball, and this is it. My weather isn't too bad yet, so I can work on the back porch. Thank you!

• Novaline Tanksley

You suggested using hot glue, but I don't think that's a good idea for something you are placing outside. I painstakingly crafted a Christmas wreath for my door. After hanging it, later that day I heard a thumping sound on the porch. The hot sun beating down on my door had melted the glue. I use all purpose glue now. Thanks for letting me know about Power-grab and the silicone sealer.