Garden Globes

After seeing so many posts on diy garden globes, I just had to try it. I started searching for old bowling balls but all I found were priced too high. Then little by little, it all came together and and I now have six garden globes that I just love. Hope you do too.
I found these lighting globes at the Goodwill for half off.
I started applying glass flat sided marbles(Dollar Tree) with this adhesive but they started sliding and I got impatient, so I went to hot glue. Worked great and no slipping.
Stones from Dollar Tree and a few engraved stones left over from my daughter's wedding.
Fast forward, six different globes.
After a few weeks of researching and shopping for the cheapest and best choice of grout, I found a bag for $2 at the Habitat Restore. Messy job for indoors but snow outside made me do it in a large tub on my kitchen table.
This is the adhesive I used (always on hand, great stuff) to put a base on my globes since they are open on the bottom.I has silicone so it will be water tight. I wanted to make them as outdoor friendly as possible.
Again, being the cheap-skate I am, I found lg. mason jar lids at the Habitat Restore. They fit over the opening perfectly. I used plenty of adhesive around the ring and inside the ring sealing it completely.
Some only had the ring so I used some bottom pieces from old Tupperware parfait glasses.
After letting the bases dry over night(resting on plastic bowls,in the background), time for a paint job. To protect the globes, I cut circles in the bottom of grocery bags and taped them tight around the globes.
I had just enough left over paint from other projects to do the bases.
It was a bit colder outside than the paint recommends, but it dried fast.
Finished drying inside.
Now they sit upright and are water tight and weather protected. I think they are so cute.
After about 2 1/2 weeks and countless inches of snow, I can finally get outside to seal the grout. I used Thompsons water seal (had cedar colored on hand).
I poured some in a plastic container and used a cheat chip brush to slather it on. Make sure you cover your table, this is messy.
And wear gloves.
Don't worry about the cloudy way the marbles look. Let them dry for a couple hours and wipe off the stones and marbles with an old cloth.
After a bit of elbow grease, they shine like new.
Now, find the perfect place for them in the garden.
Now if only my gardens recoup from the long, cold winter we've had. Happy Spring, everyone.

• Cleo Douglass

I tried to pin the step by step instructions for garden globes but had to pin each picture one at a time. Suggestions

• Lea Grossman

@Cleo Douglass when you pin each picture, it saves a link to the page with all the instructions, so no need to pin each photo.

• Cra12830736

I collect seashells and I'm always looking for things to create from them. I particularly love coquina shells because of their beautiful colors and patterns. A pair opened up but still connected at the hinge make perfect angel wings! I picked up a glass globe with a raised wavy edge at Joann's and cleaned it thoroughly, then sprayed with picture adhesive on theiutside. I sprinkled beach sant on the outside and then when totally dry, glue coquinas and tiny scallop shells all over. After again giving it time to dry thoroughly, I took it outside and sprayed it with a clear lacquer all over. It helped to insure the shells were definitely going to stay put! I finished it up with a piece of 1/4" satin ribbon in the recessed space under the wavy top edge, and tied a bow at what was going to become the 'front' side. I did this over 15 years ago and all the shells are still intactbut for one teeny scallop, which I reattached with a spot of hot glue. i just have it sitting on a nightstand in the guest bedroom, but visitors have commented that it would be great for holding pencils or pens on a ladies' desk. It's amazing what seashells can be used for!
  • Merri Peplinski

Just curious if you need adhere bases before painting them. Couldn't I paint them prior? I love this idea and can't wait to make them! Thank you very much for posting!

• SF Globe

Hi Vickie! I'm Jessica from SFG Media Group. We'd love to feature this project in an article as it's fantastic. Would you give us permission to use the photos to put together an article? The article will be shown on DIY websites of our company. We'd definitely credit you in them. Please let me know. Thanks! - Jessica

• Vickie G

Wow! I would be honored to have you share my project. I had a lot of fun making these globes and still have them in my yard. Please let me know where I can see your publication. Thank you so much.

• Vickie G

• Marty R.

being a gardening ignoramus, could you post a foto or two of what you did with them when they're finished? i don't know what garden globes are? (i live in an apartment in cairo, egypt, one of the most densely populated cities in the world, so i don't get to see many gardens.) thanks!
    • Roz1834723

Good question, as beautiful as they are!
    • See pics. They are just artfully displayed in her garden bed.

Could put in a flower pot garden, or on A Porch, deck, balcony.
    • Carol Oakes

I don't see them displayed in her garden bed ... I must be blind as a bat !

• Shuganne

After the picture of Thompson's water seal, I see a link, all in blue capital letters, that say SEE 5 MORE PHOTOS... Click the link. The last 2 pictures show her succulent garden and a wintertime view -mostly bare ground and a small leafless bush, each of which shows a garden globe.

If you can't see that, you may have pop ups blocked. In that case, look for an infinitesimally small message, either just under the address bar or in a tiny box to the top right of your screen.

If you can't find either of those, check your internet browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc.) for settings that will block or allow pop ups.

For me personally, and for your learning abilities, please don't label yourself an ignoramous. At my school, we encourage our students to say, "I don't know that yet." Each of you is an expert on some, or many, subjects, about which I don't know anything yet, but I'm going to try to learn everything I can to help me in life.

😊😘

• Kim Kilgus Aunkst

What kind and brand of grout did you use?
    • Dusty

one needs to use a sanded grout if the space between objects (tile/marbles/stuff!) is greater than ¼ inch. Any big box store (HomeDepot, Lowes, maybe Ace or TrueValue) has grout or resale outlet may may have...
  • Jul29827547

How do you apply the grout? And not get it on the stones?
    • Lea Beth T

You put the grout all over the project...then use a sponge to remove excess..let dry...then use clean sponge to remove excess off stones
    • Astra Lilly Keena

So you need to use grout? Or could you skip this step? I'm really new at projects and dumb when it comes to this stuff. I really like how these turned out

• Diana Price Simmons

Couldn't you spray paint the bases before applying them to the globes?
    • Vickie G

Absolutely. Mine was a bit of a second thought.
  • Sandy

what size lid caps did you use?

• Joan Conn

Hi, so do you glue the stones on first, then put grout in between the stones?, or put grout on the globes, then place the stones in the grout?

• Novaline Tanksley

When you are tiling a wall or counter or making a stone walkway, the stones go on first and then the grout. I imagine it is the same process.

• Lisa Maxey

She says at the beginning. Read through all the directions before starting your project.

• Ros34087852

Can u use plastic round bowls from Mardi gra the ones that drinks in them i pick up a lot of different size cups down here in new Orleans I got a bunch of big beer bottles do u have any idea how to fix them up

• Elsbeth

Do you have to use grout.

• Bernice H

No I never use grout,I usually like what ever the globe is made of. Mostly it is a white globe. So ...if you put battery operated lights in it, it glows. ,I don’t like grout because it gets dirty.

• Lisa

These are really cute but I read through the tutorial and can't find when or how you grouted them or what you year-olds the full tutorial is somewhere else?

• Bernice H

As I replied above..you don’t need to bother with grout. I never do,it gets dirty.

• Bobbie

I am pretty new at Hometalk. how can I obtain the instructions of this DIY ?

• Francesca

Look great!! What grout was used? Or recommend? Thanks

• Cass

Any all

weather grout would work. In fact, most all in existence would work. You’re in luck.

• Heather

Also learned my lesson, hot glue gun projects do not work in NC sun.

This is why you use grout. Unfortunately you didn't show us how you did it.

Questioning why you didn't paint the bottoms before attaching them?

• Amanda

Questioning if you know how grout works. Also, although I don’t know the author, I will answer the “why didn’t you” question as well. As with any project, you live and learn. Some of these comments🤦🏻‍♀️

• Kat Rogers

I LOVE THOSE!

Did the Cedar Color look good? I imagine that it would match really well with the globe covered with rocks.

I'm looking forward to making these beautiful globes~ a fun, easy & creative project!

Thanks for sharing!

• Cass

Did you see the photo of the completed ones that you clicked on to get here? They’re lovely.

• Cass

Here ya go, love.

• Donna Renaud

Why didn't you show us the finished product ? Would love to see it !

• Cathy Hays

Adorable idea! I have two of these old globes in my closet that I am absolutely going to do this. One question for you. Did you put yours on stands or did you place them on the ground? Just wondering if stands what size stand and where you found them? Thanks for sharing your project!

• Peggy Smith Cartee

Looks like they are placed on the ground. I think I would go to a thrift store and get a few quart or larger used mason jars and fill them with sand, the sand will give weight to the base. Different sized jars will make them heights and you could group them.

• Cathy Hays

Peggy that is a Brilliant Idea! Thank you for chiming in. You have my wheels turning with all kinds of ideas now. Merry Christmas!

• Sadie

Hi I love your project. I have two large globes from old ceiling fans. I understand most of your instructions. But you didn't say what you used to grout with. Is it concrete or regular grout tiles? Your results are awesome.

• Karena Stetson

The finished project would be nice to see. Can you post a picture of that please.

• Linda A Mersereau

yes i will definately try this. i am looking for ways to jazz up my front and my husband says too much flowers. don't know the end result yet but am willing to try. I am disabled by a stroke but willing to try most anything once!! dollar tree here i come again!! love that place!

• Sandra
    Yesterday

Think glass would break with too much weight but i have bowling balls from thrift stores and garage sales i am doing this to