Starlette's of the Shade Garden

322K Views
Think those sunny gardens have all the fun? That big drama can only be accomplished in full sun? Not true! Here are a few of the Drama Queens kicking up a fuss in my shade/pt shade garden.
  • starlette s of the shade garden, flowers, gardening, Meconopsis Grandis or Blue Asiatic Poppy can be difficult to site It needs loose well drained fertile soil in part shade Once established it will bloom like gangbusters for you every June July
Meconopsis Grandis or Blue Asiatic Poppy can be difficult to site, It needs loose, well drained fertile soil in part shade. Once established it will bloom like gangbusters for you every June/July.
  • starlette s of the shade garden, flowers, gardening, Hellebore are a wonderful winter early spring perennial in the shade garden This one is particularly beautiful I ran across it at VanDusen Botanical gardens and have been unable to identify the variety of this double bloom
Hellebore are a wonderful winter/early spring perennial in the shade garden. This one is particularly beautiful. I ran across it at VanDusen Botanical gardens and have been unable to identify the variety of this double bloom.
  • starlette s of the shade garden, flowers, gardening, Tricyrtus Toad Lily is a unique perennial in the shade garden It blooms from late summer to fall with spectacular orchid like blooms
Tricyrtus Toad Lily is a unique perennial in the shade garden. It blooms from late summer to fall with spectacular orchid like blooms.
  • starlette s of the shade garden, flowers, gardening, Epimedium sulphureum pink is a fab clump forming semi evergreen perennial that does well in dry shade Yes I said it DRY SHADE You re welcome
Epimedium sulphureum pink is a fab clump forming semi evergreen perennial that does well in dry shade. Yes, I said it! DRY SHADE! You're welcome.
  • starlette s of the shade garden, flowers, gardening, Hosta s are a staple of our West Coast shade gardens There are so many varieties you can literally pick your favorite flavor I m partial to Proven Winners Hudson Bay with its tri coloured leaves They look fab in summer bouquets
Hosta's are a staple of our West Coast shade gardens. There are so many varieties, you can literally pick your favorite flavor. I'm partial to Proven Winners Hudson Bay, with its tri coloured leaves. They look fab in summer bouquets.
  • starlette s of the shade garden, flowers, gardening, Brunnera macrophylla Jack Frost grows excellently in my shade garden Like a hosta it has beautifully detailed foliage It also send out shoot of wonderful blue flowers in spring that remind me of forget me not s
Brunnera macrophylla 'Jack Frost' grows excellently in my shade garden. Like a hosta it has beautifully detailed foliage. It also send out shoot of wonderful blue flowers in spring that remind me of forget-me-not's.
  • starlette s of the shade garden, flowers, gardening, White cyclamen prefer cool shade Although often sold as a houseplant this woodland perennial does nicely in the garden as well
White cyclamen prefer cool shade. Although often sold as a houseplant this woodland perennial does nicely in the garden as well.
  • starlette s of the shade garden, flowers, gardening, Trillium Flexipes has large white flowers that bloom in mid spring They re only visible for a short time before their stalks bend and the flower disappears behind the foliage hence their common name Bent Trillium or Drooping Trillium
Trillium Flexipes has large white flowers that bloom in mid spring. They're only visible for a short time before their stalks bend and the flower disappears behind the foliage, hence their common name Bent Trillium or Drooping Trillium.
  • starlette s of the shade garden, flowers, gardening, This annual Coleus from Proven Winners grows from sun to part shade and bring fantastic colour and texture into the shade garden
This annual Coleus from Proven Winners grows from sun to part shade, and bring fantastic colour and texture into the shade garden.
  • starlette s of the shade garden, flowers, gardening, Hellebores Onyx Odyssey another stunning double hellebores for late spring and into summer in the shade garden Pair this beauty with light or bright coloured blooms for added drama
Hellebores Onyx Odyssey another stunning double hellebores for late spring and into summer in the shade garden. Pair this beauty with light or bright coloured blooms for added drama.

To see more: http://www.theDandelionWrangler.ca

• Barb Rosen
    Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE

Oh, I so wish we could grow that lovely meconopsis ~ I have dreams about it : ) But our hot, humid summers are too brutal. Thanks for sharing yours with me, Laura!

• Laura Thomas
      Laura Thomas Canada

I tried a few spots in my yard before I found a spot that they'd tolerate. Boy am I glad I tried, tried again. I love the blue poppy. <3