Cheap and Easy Planters
In about 2 hours I built two 6 foot long planters to set on my back deck rails. Cedar fence boards are inexpensive and easy to use.
1. Buy some cedar fence boards, I went with two 6 inch wide x 6 feet long and one 8 inch wide, and some scrap wood to make the ends. These are the inexpensive dog eared fence boards you can buy at most lumber yards and big box stores like Lowes and Home Depot, they are not cut to be exact dimensions and can vary widely. Usually they have both cedar and redwood, either will work.
2. Square off the dog eared end and dry fit the boards. Since the fence boards are not cut the same you have to make them match with your trusty tape measure and saw.
3. I put the end piece on first, used just scrap pieces of wood I had on hand. I applied wood glue before nailing. Actually this is a photo of me putting on the last side but it does show my end piece is just scrap and the generosity of Titebond glue. I started out with my nail gun but it jammed so I fell back on a good ol’ hammer and finish nails. A wee bit slower but still quite effective.
4. Screw to deck rail so the pesky raccoons will not knock your wonderfully roomy planter to the ground below. Here I am letting the glue dry before filling. Be sure to drill holds for proper drainage, I drilled mine towards the back of the planter where it hangs off the deck rail. (moisture constantly on the deck rail will cause rot so if you want to protect your wood railing you can attach feet (little pieces of wood) to the bottom of the planter so it can get air flow.
5. I gave them 24 hours to dry then I had fun planting them up. I left them unpainted or stained, I want these to weather naturally to a soft grey.
6. Mix up some coconut coir into your potting mix for added water retention. It is natural, sustainable and easy to work with. You can purchase Coconut Coir in bales or bricks, a little goes a LOOOONG way as it is compressed.
Read more on the blog .
Top Hometalk Projects
Want more details about this and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!Go