DIY Magnetic Spice Rack

$15

I have been on a kitchen organizing kick lately and one of the goals has been to clear the clutter off my counter top. One of the things taking up room on my countertop was my spice racks...
diy magnetic spice rack, organizing, storage ideas
Here is what I started with. I liked the spice tins. They fit exactly one jar of spice in them...so they're the perfect size. And the location was really handy for cooking. But besides taking up some room on the counter, they also made it hard to clean. I had seen magnetic spice racks in the store, and thought they would be a perfect solution. But they usually come with spice containers (which I didn't need) and cost about $35 for 12 jars...which adds up to more than $100 for my wall of spices. So I decided to make my own.
Start with some small magnets ($15 for 100). I used 2 per container. (I did start out using only 1 but that wasn't strong enough to hold some of the heavier spices in place on the wall.)
Glue the magnets onto the back of the spice jar using epoxy glue. (I tried a few other glue options and this is the only one that has stood the test of time.)
Cut a sheet of galvanized steel sheet metal to the size you need with a pair of tin snips (be careful...the edges are sharp!) This sheet metal is what they usually use for heating ducts...you can buy a 2' x 3' piece at the hardware store for about $10. Attach your sheet metal to the wall where you want your spices to go. Since I was putting mine over tile, I glued it on, but you could also use nails or screws to attach it.
Wait 24 hours for the glue to fully cure and then stick up your jars. And you're done!
Here's my countertop after the project...completely cleared off! For more details, click the link below to see my blog post.

Wanda @ From House To Home

• Joanie

You need space on your counter top? Have an insert, shelves or whatever, on the inside of a cupboard. It works for me. It could work for you.

• Tammy

Looks great this is exactly what I want to do in my own kitchen but I am having trouble finding the tins. Where did you get yours ?

• Marti87114

I found some nice jars online at IKEA. Some are already magnetic on the bottom. IKEA carries a variety of jars. Also, they ship if you don’t have a store in your area.

• Kuntreprinces

What is layered between the rows of tins?

• Tammy

I am most definitely gonna look on Amazon for them thank you so much for sharing this with me.

• Judith A Bailey

Hmmmm . . . A possibility for my new CASA!! Have to save this!