DIY Magnetic Spice Rack

8 materials
$15

I have been on a kitchen organizing kick lately ( you can find all of my kitchen organizing DIY projects HERE) and one of the goals has been to clear the clutter off my counter top. One of the things taking up room on my countertop was my spice racks.

Here is what I started with. I liked the spice tins. They fit exactly one jar of spice in them...so they're the perfect size. And the location was really handy for cooking. But besides taking up some room on the counter, they also made it hard to clean. I had seen magnetic spice racks in the store, and thought they would be a perfect solution. But they usually come with spice containers (which I didn't need) and cost about $35 for 12 jars...which adds up to more than $100 for my wall of spices. So I decided to make my own.

Start with some small magnets ($15 for 100). I used 2 per container. (I did start out using only 1 but that wasn't strong enough to hold some of the heavier spices in place on the wall.)

Glue the magnets onto the back of the spice jar.

Cut a sheet of galvanized steel sheet metal to the size you need.

Attach your sheet metal to the wall where you want your spices to go. Since I was putting mine over tile, I glued it on, but you could also use nails or screws to attach it.

Wait 24 hours for the glue to fully cure and then stick up your jars. And you're done!

Here's my countertop after the project...completely cleared off!

For all the project details including the only type of glue that works and the best tool for cutting galvanized steel, click HERE to see my blog post.

Wanda @ From House To Home

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 28 questions

Comments

2 of 110 comments
Next