A Pinterest-Inspired Alternative to a Dated Trash Compactor

53K Views
After removing a {hideous} non-working, dated trash compactor from a house-flip, I turned that eye-sore into functional, creative storage in a kitchen.
**I buy old, ugly houses and flip them all by myself! It's a crazy house-flipping life, but come follow along at my blog, The Bachelorette Pad Flip.
Flip #2 was cursed with harvest gold appliances. I love a good retro vibe, but these hideous, non-working appliances were certainly not adding any value to the property.
I immediately removed them. Replacing the dishwasher was a breeze. That trash compactor, on the other hand, was a bit trickier. As a REALTOR, I know that trash compactors have become dated in design, so I wanted to put something totally different in that space. While some people do use trash compactors (but definitely not in my region), BUDGET dictates every choice I make in a flip.
  • a pinterest inspired alternative to a dated trash compactor, diy, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, repurposing upcycling
I opted to create a built-in that looks original to the space. By adding adjustable wood shelves, the space is actually functional. Adjusting the shelves is easier with small pegs that easily move to the different holes. This custom built piece is unique and adds character to an awkward space. This project could be created anywhere- regardless if a trash compactor was there or not. Once could even do this project with a normal cabinet and remove the door.
After the wood was installed, I stained it to match the original cabinets. I tested different stains to find just the right match. After a few coats and a coat of Poly, I had unique shelves that look original to the space!
I added some vintage locker baskets and cookbooks in to that space. It's eye catching and functional- an asset in a house flip!
To see a complete post about this project, please check out my blog!

Suggested materials for this project:

• Wood  (Lowe's)
The Bachelorette Pad Flip

• Shari
    Shari Tampa, FL

WHAT?! Trash compactors dated? I LOVE my trash compactor! Between the garbage disposal and the trash compactor, we only have to take out the trash every 7-10 days. What's not to love about that? I'd give up my dishwasher before I would EVER give up my trash compactor. If I bought your flip house I'd be removing those shelves and installing a trash compactor. lol.

• Shari
        Shari Tampa, FL

@The Bachelorette Pad Flip Oh I don't disagree that a non-working appliance needs to be removed but I do take issue with trash compactors waning in popularity. While they may not be taking up precious limited floor space in retail showrooms, multiple brands and models are still widely available to order through just about any place that sells appliances. Lowes, Home Depot, Best Buy, Sears, and Amazon have them, just to name a few national retailers. Even JCPenney, who has just started selling appliances again, offers a couple models. They are quite pricey for a "garbage can" so since house flipping is about making a profit, I can see why you would elect to install a couple shelves and wire baskets over a new trash compactor, especially if this is a lower priced home. I do think painting the super grainy, orange-toned cabinets and trim moldings would have given the kitchen a fresher, cleaner, more current look. Also, the scalloped wood valance over the sink still says 1970s. Those haven't been used in new kitchen design for quite some time and they are generally fairly easy to remove to achieve an updated look. The flooring, counter top and backsplash are a huge improvement though.

• Jeanette S
        Jeanette S Atlanta, GA

Great job, but I would NEVER give up my trash compactor! I would give up a bathroom first! Of course we don't put food scraps in it or things like coffee grounds!