Turn Your Wicker Basket Into a Hypertufa Concrete Garden Basket

1 Material
$20
1 Day

I sometimes collect baskets to put pots in my garden. Unfortunately they do not last but one season because wicker rots out in the weather. I do not know why I did not do this sooner but here is my solution for any of those $1 wicker baskets you find at garage/yard sales- Dip them in hypertufa (or concrete) and turn them into garden planters and baskets. There are steps to follow and you need to find baskets that will soak up water to make this work. I did 3 baskets and now I am going to hunt garage sales for more! Creating. Inspiring. Gardening without the rules! You can read and see more over at my blog where I have other concrete and hypertufa garden projects!

This is the basket painted with Rustoleum 2x spray paint Expresso

You will need a wicker basket that absorbs water- not twigs or plastic - to soak before dipping

Dip the basket in your mix and coat it (but sticks and twig handles do not hold the mix). You can read a bit more on my blog.

This basket has a hole because the bottom was rotted and I put my finger through it while moving it. I still drilled large holes for drainage after basket cured

I had to chip away the concrete/hypertufa off the twig part because it did not stick.

The Garden Frog with C Renee

• Val

Yes I have some lovely baskets, and have wanted to do something outside with them but they don’t last this is perfect. Can it be painted?

• Linn

What about the vases made with finger nail polish

• Judy Jacobson

I think when I try this, I will use a very light fabric or gauze to wrap around the handle and maybe even the base of the basket. It will keep the woven shape of the basket so that you can still see the weave. The cement will stick to it then and actually I think it would look even better. Any thoughts?

• Carey

I had never before heard of Hypertufa, but using Portland cement is an excellent idea and one that I think that I will try!

• Tina Gooding

Lovely idea will be trying this thank you