Turn Your Wicker Basket Into a Hypertufa Concrete Garden Basket

355K Views
I sometimes collect baskets to put pots in my garden. Unfortunately they do not last but one season because wicker rots out in the weather. I do not know why I did not do this sooner but here is my solution for any of those $1 wicker baskets you find at garage/yard sales-
Dip them in hypertufa (or concrete) and turn them into garden planters and baskets. There are steps to follow and you need to find baskets that will soak up water to make this work. I did 3 baskets and now I am going to hunt garage sales for more!
Creating. Inspiring. Gardening without the rules!
You can read and see more over at my blog where I have other concrete and hypertufa garden projects!
  • turn your wicker basket into a hypertufa concrete garden basket, concrete masonry, container gardening, crafts, gardening, repurposing upcycling
This is the basket painted with Rustoleum 2x spray paint Expresso
You will need a wicker basket that absorbs water- not twigs or plastic - to soak before dipping
Dip the basket in your mix and coat it (but sticks and twig handles do not hold the mix). You can read a bit more on my blog.
This basket has a hole because the bottom was rotted and I put my finger through it while moving it. I still drilled large holes for drainage after basket cured
I had to chip away the concrete/hypertufa off the twig part because it did not stick.

Suggested materials for this project:

Prices updated as of June 18, 2018 11:20 AM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
The Garden Frog with C Renee

• Ann
    Ann Medford, OR

Tried to comment on your blog but couldn't. Connection issues? This is an inspired idea and one I will be trying soon. I would like to use the baskets as holders for plastic planters so I can change the plants seasonally. I think this will preserve the baskets for a number of seasons. I hope.

• Trixie63
      Trixie63 Waverly, OH

Very interesting. I just bought some cement the other day for another project but may try a basket before we bury the flagpole. I'm so glad you posted!