Light-up Boho Chandelier

Using a tomato cage, sheer fabric and Osram Lightify Gardenspot Mini lights, you can create a light-up boho chandelier that changes colors! Perfect for a day to night outdoor wedding!
My favorite part of this project is the base, which is a wire tomato cage that can be picked up for a few dollars this time of year.
Watch the short video tutorial here to see just how easy this is to make!

• Tomato cage  (Home Depot)
  • Sheer and lace fabrics  (JoAnn Fabrics)

Mark Montano

• Sherry Knott

Love this!!! I have a couple of questions. #1 is there any danger of the heat from the lights causing the fabrics to catch fire? #2 Can battery operated Christmas lights be used instead? A lot of people don't have smart phones to be able to utilize the ability to change colors, so the expense of the Osram lighting may not have any value. Thank you for your help! This is so stunning!

• Jessica Serrano-Gregg

They are LED lights he used. You can touch them after they have been on all night and it's just a slight warmth. LED lights are expensive compared to the standard string lights but once I switched over I'll never buy regular again. 1) they last years. 2) very safe and great selection of waterproof/ outdoor use. Love the solar powered fairy lights! 3) Amazon has the best String LED lights selection on the cheap. 4 summers ago I cringed at spending fifteen bucks on a Set of solar powered purple flower lights for the pool shower however all the standard string lights are long gone and these are still going strong lol and I have abused them by leaving them out in our New England winters

• Vicky

I want to make something like this to hang down on each side of bed. just trying to figure out how to make on a smaller version. Any ideas anyone?

• Cindy

Tomato cages come in two sizes: large and small. Get the small one. You can also cut off the "legs" of the cage to make it even smaller.
  • Bernice Evans

how long are the strips of material and lace?

• Krystine Rae

my guess on how long fabric is, if your buying a yard or 2 of fabric. Its salvage to salvage so if on bolt its 42in. wide then its 42in. long. And it looks like the strips are about 1in. wide. or could be 1 1/2 . I would love to make this also.

• Patricia McClure

This light is breathtaking and would love to make for my daughters wedding but her colors are going to be camouflage. Any suggestions on the fabric??

• Tricia K

Mark, this is the exact project I was looking for. You do such awesome work! I will upload pictures after I finish my blog chandelier! Thanks for the inspiration!