Megan
Megan
  • Tutorial Team
  • Buffalo, NY

An Old Door Upcycle

I am in the middle of a huge kitchen remodel (This explains the utter chaos in the background of all the pictures). Unfortunately, the home improvement center lost my floor tiles. So we are kind of stuck until they are found. In the meantime, I decided to build a hall tree for the breakfast nook space.
an old door upcycle, doors, foyer, organizing, repurposing upcycling
I found a nice solid old door at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore for just a couple of dollars.
The door just happened to be the exact width of two craft crates that I got on sale. I went to the hardware store and got one board to top off the crates and one for a shelf.
I replaced the glass with bead board... it was more practical. And then Lots and lots of paint... First I painted everything with black acrylic paint I had left over from another project. (Sorry, forgot to take pictures of this part). Then when that dried I coated everything with a white satin acrylic paint. This job was made easier by the help of a girlfriend and a glass of wine.
I put it all together with some brackets and hooks and decorative knobs I got 75% off at the craft store. I then distressed it lightly and glazed it with Valspar Antiquing Glaze. I really like it because I wanted it more black and white than brown and the glaze was the perfect color.
Here is the finished product. I will probably add baskets to the top and inside the crates once it is in place. I think it will go beautifully in the breakfast nook of my farmhouse inspired kitchen.

• The26488425

Hey there love this! Great job, I have an old door that I use just for coats that I re done as well. I would like to add a bench and I was thinking crates also but I was wondering if it would actually hold the weight to sit down and put you're shoes on .. how did yours hold up?

• Megan

It holds up well. We use it all the time. The young boy child even stands on it occasionally (even though we tell him not to!). I think it has more to do with the strength of the top board and it distributing the weight over the crates in a way that is even and doesn't stress them in one particular place and make them break or bow. (Or at least that is what my Super Hubby says... I just take his word for it!)

• Alicia W

What was the craft store where you found the hardware?

• Megan

Hobby Lobby. They have an amazing selection of knobs, hooks, bracket, etc.

• Denise Roesch Beres

Is this top heavy? I have an old door and would like to try this idea, but I’m afraid it would tip over.

• Shandele Broyles

If you have little ones just get some little brackets and attach the top to the wall. You won't be able to see it.